• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Progress on the AW supper 300

Bigred1775

Hi Dwan, I just purchased a 1956 99 super. Have you ever done any clutch work on yours? Mine is slipping and was wondering what the cost would be. Can't wait to see the finished restoration on you AW. Thanks

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Hi Dwan, I just purchased a 1956 99 super. Have you ever done any clutch work on yours? Mine is slipping and was wondering what the cost would be. Can't wait to see the finished restoration on you AW. Thanks

Clutch operate a torque converter on mine so there is no strain ever on the clutch disk. It will probably out last life as we know it today.
If you have the old one out I am sure one can find one by matching it up in a parts store or send it in to have it rebuilt.

BellflowerMan

Occupation
Biochemist/retired; DIY mechanic
About 17 years since your last response. Machine looks awesome as of 2004. Did you complete all of the chores....including installation of the brass handles ?? Recent picture ? Am looking at a 1971 Super 500 with GM 6V71 engine with unknown hours. Wondering about turning radius. Manual says 35 feet ?? Is that at full lock on the rear steer too ? Seems like it might be the turning diameter. Do you have a specification for the rear steer angle ? Any insights ? Thank you !!

BellflowerMan

Occupation
Oops !! Only 10 years since your last reply. I only saw your membership date. Still out there ? The mighty machine still pushing snow ??

BellflowerMan

Occupation
A Super 500 is a helluva length. I would suspect the 35ft is actually the radius. A 70ft turning circle even when using rear steering sounds about right.

Thank you !!! Amazing that they thought the rear steer was a major improvement over the rigid technology. Can't imagine the turning radius of a CAT grader in 1965 with no rear steer and no articulation. For example, a 1969 John Deere 570A....with 22 degrees of articulation...has a turning radius of only 18 feet...with a wheelbase two feet shorter at 17 feet, 4 inches.

Check out the Clark manual and the comparison of the Pacer and Super specifications:

http://www.tractorparts.com/PDFs/Clark_super_400_500_ops_mtce.pdf

Should bring back a few memories for you.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
One thing you have to remember is that the wheelbase of the Super 500 with a tandem rear axle setup is from the centre of the tandem pivot to the centre of the front axle - #5 on the illustration. The overall machine length (#6) is almost 7ft longer than the wheelbase. I'd hazard a guess that a modern grader with an articulating frame can turn much sharper than the S500 with only an articulating rear bogie (tandem). Also the S500 AWD system has cardan shafts inside the front axle, not hydraulic assist like today's AWD machines. So that would severely limit the maximum front wheel angle. As we used to say back in the day "an S500 would need a 3-acre field to get it turned around".........

The 12M below is a similar wheelbase (19'-5") and similar overall length (27'-8") to the S500. It has a turning radius of 24'-3" based on a 47.5deg front wheel angle and a chassis articulation of 20deg. I'd say both of those angles are probably a helluva lot larger than on an S500.

upload_2022-1-24_16-41-4.png
upload_2022-1-24_16-25-42.png