• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

propane/natural gas info needed tha

excavator

I started my career in the '70s in automotive and moved to heavy equipment in the late '80s so I've dealt with numerous gasoline and diesel engines. I now am looking at semi-retirement and have the possibility of working on some natural gas and propane powered stationary generators, up to 100 kw. Having never worked on propane/natural gas I've been scouring the internet looking for any information and have not had much success. Are there any books or good web sites that contain troubleshooting and tune up information regarding the fuel systems? I'm currently looking at an old Hercules G3400 on natural gas that hasn't run for over a year and have not found much. I did find an original Hercules engine manual but it has nothing as far as the fuel end of things. Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Those old machines are more art than science. Especially if you are trying to tune "by ear". I learned a lot the hard way, by trial and error.

Not enough old dinosaurs out there for me to justify wanting to invest more tooling, but if I did, I would want to go with a modern exhaust gas analyzer of some kind. A load bank is a necessity. If you do not want to buy one, they can be rented.