• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Protection

Wolfcsm

A little bit of training and discipline are required for most of these programs to work:

Anti Virus programs really protect you for the KNOWN things that are in the wild. They play catch up when something new is let loose in the wild - several hundred every day, most days.

A good antivirus program ( whichever you are comfortable with), that is kept updated - each day is the best, is a good defensive wall around your system.

But, if you click on everything that is attached, go to off the beaten path web sites or download everything you see - you are leading the intruder right past all of that good defense and into your computer.

If you are using more than one computer at home use NAT (Network Address Translation) for your IP addresses, behind your router. NAT uses a group of IP addresses that are non routable. These addresses are never seen by the world that is on the WAN side of your router.

FIREWALLS are great. But take a lot of work to get to the place where you can do what you want to. Once you have them where they are working and let you do what you want, you have pretty much turned off most of the features of the FIREWALL.

One thing that can help a lot have a system or systems that adults can use that kids cannot. Set them up as you need and use them. Have another system for kids. Without a lot of care, they are going to get things that you do not want on your "good" systems. When they do - REFORMAT the system and start from scratch using an image disk to rebuild the system. After they loose their files a few times the idea of being careful will begin to sink in.

All the security programs in the world can be defeated by the hand - keyboard interface. If it looks funny - scan it. Or better yet delete it before you click on it. Pay attention to scams in email - you are probably not going to receive $12,345,678,90 from your long lost Nigerian Uncle - DELETE it!

Look at the links you get in emails. There are lots of attempts to get you to give out information to places that look legitimate but have a URL like: www.bank.com.what.is.this.biz That is not going to get you to your bank and will probably cost you a LOT!

Hal

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Did I miss something (not unusual)... or has the name of this sub-forum been changed?... :confused:
Actually, I got an advertising email from Best Buy last week and noticed the little "R" next to "Geek Squad" so rather than wait for their attorneys to find us and make exorbitant threats, I change the name slightly.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Actually, I got an advertising email from Best Buy last week and noticed the little "R" next to "Geek Squad" so rather than wait for their attorneys to find us and make exorbitant threats, I change the name slightly.

That's smart. But I took Sqizzy's advice anyway...and ate breakfast! :D

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
Avira Free version and Windows Defender. Windows Firewall. As long as you don't download a bunch of crap from dubious places you should be safe. If you do need to download a program I recomend C-net.

HEO Girl

Here, there, and everywhere in Maine and beyond
Occupation
Fence & Guardrail Installation
Is there any way to filter out the distracting symbols I find in some posts? They kind of look like animal whiskers or something along that line and seem to be inserted randomly. To me their just a distraction and make reading some posts difficult.

Steve are you talking about the ones that I put in my posts usually?? Or used to until I guess you blocked them . . . ^ . ^ or = ] those? but closer together?

and if you are talking about them they aren't random . . . They are my version of smiley faces. . . . . . .

Last edited:

uffex

Occupation
Admin
No problems here

There is a solution to spyware and virus problems, run a Mac.

I've been involved in Mac sales service and used them for approx 20 years. Viruses and spyware just don't work on the Mac platform. Unlike Windows, Apple rebuilt the whole Mac Operating System using a solid and secure Unix core nearly a decade ago. Building security into the System instead of paying an ongoing tax to virus and spyware companies was a priority.

And in the long run a Mac is a more cost effective investment too, they are built to last and not become obsolete. If you need to you can run all versions of Windows on a Mac now but there is now a lot of excellent software on a Mac that won't run on Windows.

My only problem is if there is a network glitch that takes the Internet down in my area when I want to get my HEF fix. Man, that burns me up:mad:

Feel free to ask any Mac related questions as I can answer most queries.

Regards Dave
This post is spot on what I can add most Linux distros fit into the same explanation, dare I say Microsoft platform is a continuing cost not only did you pay a premium for the platform you add virus protection at your expense. Ever bought a new machine without warranty?
Regards
Uffex

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Most stationary plant that I've had to be part of has no warranty.