• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pto Crusher?

ZanFreeman

Hello Everybody!
I've been a longtime fan of the HEF !
Im thinking of building a pto powered jaw crusher I can pull behind our tractor and travel farm to farm and possibly demolition jobs.
I'm looking for some insight on how much maintaince costs and replacement parts cost on a unit around say 20"x30"?
Thanks!

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
Zan,

just an FYI. a 20x30 crusher will take 100-150 horsepower to run correctly. as far as cost you will be over 50 cents a yard just for the jaw unit not including anything else. I would love to see pictures of the project while your building it and when it is working.

TIO

theironoracle

Occupation
zan,

very nice, there is a place for every kind of machine. I have watched the youtube video for herbst track crushers before and thought it looked like a good sized machine for certain situations.....TIO

fergy

This sounds interesting
Any idea what size the PTO crusher in the pic is?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Neat, I like the concept. I would put a 20K pound trailer axle under it, an old Cummins 5.9 for power and be mobile.:D

fergy

Cm you are thinking what I'm thinking
Problem is to find a point where it is better to use that than get a tracked crusher in
Does anyone around here have any idea in crusher sizing to get 100TPH of gravel/road base
Without going too big in the HP department
Fergy

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Oh yeah - Welcome to the Forums Zanfreeman and fergy!:drinkup

My thoughts were it would be impractical to have a tractor on the site to just run the crusher. If it were self powered and towable by truck, one could take it as needed to crush small amounts of debris on site. Of course the numbers would have to work.

theironoracle

Occupation
fergy, horsepower in crushing is directly related to tons per hour. 12" minus to 1-1/4" minus will take about 300 horsepower crusher/crushers, there is no way around those numbers.......TIO

fergy

how many tones per hour would you expect to get with that setup
or another question if I had a 24x14 crusher and wanted to make road base at around 50-80 TPH
how big of a donk would I need to run the crusher/or how big would that crusher need to run period
fergy
was hopin you would chip in TIO you seem to know your crushers

ZanFreeman

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . This thread is yet another example of different approaches to the same problem in other regions and countries.

It is obvious there is no "right" or "wrong" way to achieve any given end . . . as has been stated the numbers just have to work.

I have had little to do with crushing but as CM1995 has mentioned it seems a waste of resources to have a tractor tied up on crusher duty.

Cheers.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
As for the tractor being a waste, I don't agree. Is it right for all situations, no... But, its cheap power. 5-10k dollars buys a used 125hp farm tractor, the hydraulics can operate the crusher, tractor can also pull it around... Also the size of the unit would would indicate relatively low use and frequent moves, making a tractor a more practical in this case.

One thing I see as a problem is the high loading height and the square hopper. It seems to me that it would be better to have a hopper that could be filled by a skidloader would be an asset.

fergy

Hi Zan
How about a pick of your setup
A tractor maybe a waste unless your in a farming area
Also thing a skid steer or small loader would be better for loading

ZanFreeman

I think a good point has been brought up about the tractor being on straight crusher duty it does seem like a wasted assest and the capital could be applied in another price of equipment , if the unit was rented by farmers it would be a lot less likely to be abused if they are supplying the tractor, also maybe a little less headaches with maintenance of a power source and less mechanical parts.
Thanks for all the replies !
Zan

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I've watched some videos from England and they seem to use farm tractors in a different way. They have lowboys to move their equipment they pull with tractors as well as other trailers. In this situation a tractor would be the perfect power source.

The concept is very foreign to me of using a tractor as a transport vehicle, could some of our English members give some insight on this?

fergy

yeah around here its probably easyer to get a 150hp tractor than it is a diesel powerpack
that and the fact that you could just put a flashing light atop your tractor and drive it and your crusher down the highway
and if renting to a farmer they supply there own power for the unit
most the crushing around here would be on farms or vineyards

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Cm, one thing to remember is that the English farm tractors are a tad faster than their north American cousins. Also I think the travel distances are shorter, heck the entire country is what 150 miles wide? It makes a bit of a difference than the distances we are used to going with a lowbed over here.

joispoi

I've watched some videos from England and they seem to use farm tractors in a different way. They have lowboys to move their equipment they pull with tractors as well as other trailers. In this situation a tractor would be the perfect power source.

The concept is very foreign to me of using a tractor as a transport vehicle, could some of our English members give some insight on this?

It's not a concept that's exclusive to the UK. You're likely to see that in any agricultural area in Europe. With some of the price tags attached to the bigger tractors, they need to be running 25 hours a day, 8 days a week to earn their keep. That means finding more ways to use them. There are a number of contractors that do agricultural work and excavating. When they're not working the fields, they're moving dirt. On short haul dirt jobs, they have an advantage over truck operators since they run off road diesel and have lower fuel costs.