• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pushing Dirt/Rocks Sideways with a CAT345

Nuggethunting

Hello All,

I have a small mining operation where we are using a CAT345bl Excavator to dig trenches and pits. We normally pile the material along the side of the holes and trenches and then use the side of the bucket to push the material down flat.

I know it's probably not the best to push material and rocks side to side with the Excavator, but others have said as long as you're not over-stressing the unit it's ok.

Just wanted to get some expert advice on what your thoughts are. I normally run the excavator on 1-3 speeds max (10 being the highest speed control). I don't push giant rocks, just smaller rocks and material.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rob Allison

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Pushing Dirt/Rocks Sideways with a CAT345:

but others have said as long as you're not over-stressing the unit it's ok.

I must be one of them "others", I do it all the time... although, I wouldn't take a full bore quarter turn swing at it.

It does cause additional stress on the swing components, but so does swinging up hill, or crowding the side of a trench.

Does the book have any "do not do this" warnings?

I'm not an expert, but if you're not getting flung around in the cab, you're probably not being abusive.

OCR

I dig over my drive motors, sometimes, too!!! lol

Last edited:

special tool

I hate to be one of those "doomsday" guys ( usually over stupid internet stuff:rolleyes:), but in this case, I think I might pick up a cheap loader or dozer.
That's a big, expensive machine to be slewing material as a matter of course - all day, every day. Not a good idea.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
I must be one of them "others", I do it all the time... although, I wouldn't take a full bore quarter turn swing at it.

It does cause additional stress on the swing components, but so does swinging up hill, or crowding the side of a trench.

I'm not an expert, but if you're not getting flung around in the cab, you're probably not being abusive.

I agree. Its not recommended and definetly not taught ;) but its done all the time. Just be sensible about it and be aware of the extra stress and wear you are causing. If it is a regular and prolonged operation then you should probably review your system of working.

I dig over my drive motors, sometimes, too!!! lol

:lmao :lmao :guns

alco

Just keep a close eye on the boom for cracking. I've seen many booms cracked along the top where the sides meet up with the top plate around the boom curve. Basically above the boom cylinder mounts. I've always been told that is from twisting stress on the boom from side sweeping and harder impacts when swinging into things. Really, it makes sense if you look at it and figure where any sideways stress will travel.

Brian

joispoi

I was taught that side slewing material is not the way to operate. Obviously there are times when you have to side slew, and when you do, I was taught not to push more no more than what will fit into a wheel barrow (for a 20 ton machine).

The work equipment and swing motor simply aren´t engineered for production side slewing.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
If I have any slewing work to do I load the bucket and let the momentum do the work,that way there is less strain on the swing motor etc.It is actually easier on the boom and stick,much smoother on the whole machine in my opinion.Ron G

telescooper

Hi all
I think if you are just sweeping material sideways, the machine will let you know how much is to much. The swing motor is not generally over powered. I think if you want to do that on a continued basis, you should be loading your bucket while pulling it towards you and swinging a little at the same time. When I sweep it is usually just a few shovel fulls to pull it into a neat pile for loading. You would probably get a better back fill job if you sprinkled it in with the bucket. Just my $.02
Telescooper

Schwartz319

I used to side sweep the area between my spoil pile and the edge of the foundations all the time. I only did this to clears small dirt clauds that would roll off the pile. Used a 320B and 320C for this. Never had any maintainence issues caused from the side sweeping. I would also knock down small dirt piles once in a while with it.

Chris91786

Occupation
CAT HE Technician - Ring Power Corp.
I used the stick on a 345 to knock out a bucket pin on another machine, but I don't recommend it, unless you have good aim.

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
For starters running the machine between 1-3 on the throttle control isn't the best as you'd be bogging out the engine the whole time, turn that thing up to 10 and leave it there. 3 is where you should be when idling (for extended periods of time) to keep the oil pressure up.

If you have alot of dirt to move push or pull it rather then using your swing. If you are just smoothing a little bit out here and there some side movement it ok, but it's not good to do alot or with heavy loads.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Uh yeah, that hoe needs to be running at least 8 on the throttle. Just scoop up the dirt and throw in in the hole. Once you get the pile down to where you can't cast any up into the bucket, which will be very little, side sweep the rest. Also, if you're out in a mine, I'm going to assume that compaction won't be an issue. If that's the case, you can always overexcavate a little earth where the pile is and sweep the spillage at the edge of the void back in. I use this trick all the time.

reddot556

If I have any slewing work to do I load the bucket and let the momentum do the work,that way there is less strain on the swing motor etc.It is actually easier on the boom and stick,much smoother on the whole machine in my opinion.Ron G

:drinkup hear,hear

ashfaq

I have a question what will be damaged with side sweeping.
Asking as my my excavator bucket got stuck with fender badly , the oprator forced the bucket out by side swing , afterword he noticed that when climbing up hill the upper structure swings slowly by it self to the lower side even without touching controls . So what can be wrong with it.
Its an old mechanical linkage 6 ton samsung wheel excavator.

Last edited:

Welder Dave

Swing brake not working properly? It might be normal for your machine if it's really slow. Worn swing motor or possible internal leakage at the swing valve are other possibilities.