• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Quad 9 & 641's in Alaska

Tvan

Occupation
Supervision now Days
Here are some pictures of Quad 9 and old hard neck 641's on a railroad job in Anchorage 2001

Attachments

• rr1.jpg
    rr1.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 3,297
  • rr#2.jpg
    rr#2.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 3,278
  • rr3.jpg
    rr3.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 3,285

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
You need to figure out how to make those bigger, cause I wanna see! Feel free to email them to me, vantagetes @ gmail.com

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
I have a dollar that says those machines have a Wilder Construction sticker on them and Mr. Randy Kreig was somewhere on that job.
Is everybody as mad as me about the whole re-sizing pictures thing?

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
Scarsella Bros got their old quad 9s running again last year. I hear they used them in Eastern Wa somewhere. They are back in the yard in Kent Wa now. I know for a fact they sat for at LEAST 10 years prior to last year.

hvy 1ton

I have a dollar that says those machines have a Wilder Construction sticker on them and Mr. Randy Kreig was somewhere on that job.

I thought that Randy worked for Cruz? Also why are the called Quad 9's? Looks like there are only 2. Is it because they have four tracks?

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
I thought that Randy worked for Cruz? Also why are the called Quad 9's? Looks like there are only 2. Is it because they have four tracks?

Randy used to work for Wilder. I think I recall seeing some pictures he posted over at DHS some years ago of this and or other projects with the quads running.
The quad name came about just like you think, becasue of the four tracks.

Dirthauler, Scarcella still has the same two sets of quads sitting in Lind that have been there since they finished hiway 395 12 years ago or so. I went by their yard just last week and they were still sitting there. A good friend of mine was working for them this summer on a big scraper show in Spokane, but he didnt say anything about quads. I'll be a little upset with him if he didnt tell me about them!

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
OOOOO this is more exciting than waiting to open presents on christmas. ..... I will wait patiently

:popcorn

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
As I recall I've seen two sets of quads in Scarcella's yard in Kent. I know they got one set running last spring but I don't know if they hauled them out. I haven't been to Lind in a long while but I don't remember seeing a set there. I wouldn't be surprised though as they have a bunch of big scrapers there.

DirtHauler

Occupation
As I recall I've seen two sets of quads in Scarcella's yard in Kent. I know they got one set running last spring but I don't know if they hauled them out. I haven't been to Lind in a long while but I don't remember seeing a set there. I wouldn't be surprised though as they have a bunch of big scrapers there.

I was in Scarsella's yard 2 weeks ago for a load securment class the Teamsters held there and saw 1 set of quad 9s. One of the lowboy drivers said they used them this summer east of the mountains. It is entirely possible they have more than one set. I was told these are left over from the 1967 2nd Sea-Tac runway project. They have photos on their website http://www.scarsellabros.com/

Check out the Kent yard here, lots of iron: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...271,-122.22363&spn=0.001629,0.006067&t=h&z=18

I think this is 2 sets of the quads in the lind yard: http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8...=T0r2EhcqhecK7uX7GbRyQA&cbp=12,194.04,,0,8.09
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...=XdePkv0aVCJ9cYBCZhIrxQ&cbp=12,171.84,,0,7.82

Last edited:

Tvan

Occupation
Supervision now Days
Half Right

You are half right, they are Wilder, but Randy wasn't there until the very end of the job,scrapers were pretty well done when he arrived.

buckfever

are the quad nine's attached to each other or is one just pushing against the other? Also why do you need 2 dozers to push 1 pan?

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
are the quad nine's attached to each other or is one just pushing against the other? Also why do you need 2 dozers to push 1 pan?

They are attached. When the quad and SxS D9's were made, the largest dozer cat had was a D9g, When pushin 651's and 666's one D9 wasn't gonna be big enough and the SxS D9 had the largest blade and Hp in the lineup until the introduction of the D11r CD. At least that's what I've read:drinkup

DirtHauler

Occupation

Attachments

• QuadD9Specs_web.jpg
    QuadD9Specs_web.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 2,231
  • quad.jpg
    quad.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 2,149
  • QuadPushScraper_1_web.jpg
    QuadPushScraper_1_web.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 2,242
  • BusterD9G.jpg
    BusterD9G.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 2,217
  • quad99999.jpg
    quad99999.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 2,220

DirtHauler

Occupation
The Scarsella sets that are sitting at lind. and more.

Attachments

• quadslind.jpg
    quadslind.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 2,148
  • quad9.jpg
    quad9.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 2,286
  • quad99.jpg
    quad99.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 2,128
  • quad999.jpg
    quad999.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 2,129
  • quad9999.jpg
    quad9999.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 2,146

Tvan

Occupation
Supervision now Days
close up of quad 9 hitch

a picture 0f Quad 9 hitch, It looks like a big trailer hitch ball that it hooks to, the controls are Air over Manual just 1 stick for steering and the position you have your steering stick will sent the air to the opposite side on back tractor, Clear as Mud???

Attachments

• th_DSC04475.jpg
    th_DSC04475.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 2,095

DirtHauler

Occupation
a picture 0f Quad 9 hitch, It looks like a big trailer hitch ball that it hooks to, the controls are Air over Manual just 1 stick for steering and the position you have your steering stick will sent the air to the opposite side on back tractor, Clear as Mud???

Tvan, Love the photos, please post more if you have them. Also, would it be possible for you to either upload larger images or email the images to me and i will upload them larger for you if your having trouble with larger images.
Thanks. Dumptrucking []at[] comcast.net

Last edited: