• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Quality Hex Bit Sockets

Zewnten

Who makes great hex bit sockets? Sheared my proto 17mm 3/4 dr off torquing sprocket segment cap bolts. It held up fine to an 3/4 impact taking the bolts out. Put a Snap On but in its place and it twisted 90 deg but didn’t break, didn’t torque anything either. Was looking at Wright but their design has a lot of bulk in the drive side that gets in the way against the final drive housing.

mekanik

Mac tools used to make a one piece black finished hex socket.
They stood up very well. That was years ago so I don't know if
they are still available.

Tyler d4c

I have some sunnex ones that are 1/2 drive. I broke the drive out of one then welded it in a nut and uses it with a 3/4 impact and it stood up to it perhaps they make them

IceHole

Mac tools used to make a one piece black finished hex socket.
They stood up very well. That was years ago so I don't know if
they are still available.
I have a Tecton? Textron? set that has held up ok to my M18 impact.

JD955SC

I’ve had good luck with the Grey Pnuematic and Sunex style impacts

the hardest fight I’ve had for hex bolts has been breaking loose hydraulic cylinder head bolts. They laugh at the 1” impact and I have to use my breaker bar and cheater pipes on them and they sound like gunshots when they finally break loose.

Shimmy1

I’ve had good luck with the Grey Pnuematic and Sunex style impacts

the hardest fight I’ve had for hex bolts has been breaking loose hydraulic cylinder head bolts. They laugh at the 1” impact and I have to use my breaker bar and cheater pipes on them and they sound like gunshots when they finally break loose.
Ever tried smacking them good before trying?

ahart

My 3/4 drive 17MM is from Napa, impact grade and 1 piece construction. It’s done countless front wheel hub retainer bolts on Cat 793C haul trucks and hundreds of retainer bolts for the drum teeth on a Wirtgen W210i cold milling machine. All on a 3/4 ingersoll impact, bought it in 2013 and it’s still hanging in there, I would consider it to be “great”

excavator

I buy just the bit, I think the last ones were Grey Tools, then I can put them in any socket I want whether 1/2" or 3/4" drive and any length socket. Some have a detent ball and others a small raised bump to hold them in. I've also cut regular allen wrenchs down to use.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Lately anything I purchase in impact grade is Gray Pneumatic. My son in law sells the brand so I get his cost but they seem to be good tools. I've not busted anything yet but did lose a machine screw holding a 3/8" head together and they gave me a complete rebuild kit for the ratchet. In reciprocity I purchased another 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive ratchets as I like the feel of them.

I've snapped off literally dozen of the torx head drivers over the years when swapping, or removing pickup beds on Ford vehicles. Didn't snap a single one of the Gray Pneumatic brand in the same application but that could be luck of the draw. Lisle brand are commonly available in the automotive service arena, but not that dependable in my experience. Lifetime warranty but the inconvenience of these snapping off at inopportune times was a detriment.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I have had good luck with Grey Pneumatic (Gp) as well, though unlike 1693 I have broken a few. They are lifetime warranty, but they are harder to warranty than something like Snap On. When I used to work at the shop the Cornwell dealer carried Gp stuff on his truck and he was real good with warranty, but he was an above average dealer.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I have had good luck with Grey Pneumatic (Gp) as well, though unlike 1693 I have broken a few. They are lifetime warranty, but they are harder to warranty than something like Snap On. When I used to work at the shop the Cornwell dealer carried Gp stuff on his truck and he was real good with warranty, but he was an above average dealer.
Those are the kind of guys you want to give your business to.

crane operator

I had a misspent youth building steel grain bins, and have worn out more sockets than most. We had the best performance out of Apex sockets. They didn't last forever, but we were tightening a lot of bolts.

They were only available special order, and they really catered to manufacturing environments, similar to our use of tightening bolts all day long.

I thought they had outsourced all production overseas.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Grey pneumatic gets my vote. Needed a 3/4” drive 5/8 for feller buncher saw disks. Local tigercat dealer wanted $129 for it. I eyeballed the gp number and got it on Amazon for $43.69.