• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

RENO/SPARKS,NV -Need lessons-downshift an Eaton8LL, MackRD690P EM7 w/MarmonHerrington AWD *will trade construction services(anything you got)/or Cash$

cfherrman

Next thing you need to do when you hop in the truck after it's been running and built air up is just full throttle the engine and let it sit there for like 5 minutes, it can do it all day. Once your not scared of that anymore it should be easier

mx727

Pick a shift RPM for every upshift that works on your truck. For my 10 speed, 1500 is a nice comfortable spot to upshift.

Now, when downshifting, I know that I need to get the RPM above 1500 to downshift.

That's the way I teach new drivers too and they get it figured out real quick. The ones that have trouble try to make some half-hearted, tiny stab at the accelerator and never get the RPM high enough.

Practice

Zewnten

All the the advise is good only thing I can think of is not to push the clutch down too far and double clutch. Let of gas, clutch a bit, shift to neutral, clutch a bit again, shift up. Downshifting let go of gas, clutch a bit, put your foot into into it (have to know RPMs to ground speed) and put the shifter at the gate, when the RPM's are right it'll slide right in, don't bounce the throttle keep in it. In my truck 5th is 15 MPH every time.

Welder Dave

There are some good shifting videos on the net. That's how I got an idea how to drive my new to me dump truck with a 9 speed home from the auction. It was really strange at first and my biggest problem was over revving when shifting up. I found low range shifted best around 1200 RPM without using the clutch. Once in high range you have a lot more flexibility to let it shift and it shifted best around 1600 RPM. Going from the bull low gear to 1st rarely works. I found it's easier to wait till you get on firmer ground and start off in 1st gear. Downshifting make sure your slowing down to the speed of the lower gear and give the throttle a generous push and as it's coming down should slide right in. I think what helped me a lot was not using the clutch like you would in a syncromesh transmission. I'm not very good at shifting but practicing does help a lot. It's the same as I tell kids learning how to use a clutch on a dirt bike: Spend 10 or 15 minutes starting and going 20ft. and stopping until you get it mastered. Unfortunately most kids just want to ride so it takes them a lot longer to figure out the clutch.