• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Repacking cylinders

drydirt

Hi guys I'm new here and just want to say what a great forum this is. I put new seals in the outriggers on my 580L and although I tryed to be careful I unfortunately cut the one piston seal as I was putting the rod back in. On the second go round I cut a soda bottle and wrapped the piston and used it like a ring compressor which seemed to work although it was a very tedious operation. I was wondering, is there a tool like a ring compressor made for this? The step on the barrel behind the gland nut is too far in for the compressors I have to work. I was hoping maybe someone had some tricks to do this job and would be willing to offer advice?
Thanks

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
I usually use a standard engine piston ring compressor. Fit the seals to the piston & leave the ring compressor on for a few minutes, clean the cylinder threads etc, lube the cylinder, remove the ring compressor & lube the seals & they go straight in.
By fitting the ring compressor for that time, it pushes the seals into the grooves & they stay there while installing. Rarely ever have trouble with this method.

mw85

Occupation
tech
Lube lots of lube. I've done hundreds of cylinders with out cuting seals.

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I usually use a standard engine piston ring compressor. Fit the seals to the piston & leave the ring compressor on for a few minutes, clean the cylinder threads etc, lube the cylinder, remove the ring compressor & lube the seals & they go straight in.
By fitting the ring compressor for that time, it pushes the seals into the grooves & they stay there while installing. Rarely ever have trouble with this method.

Same method I use alrman. ;)

drydirt

Has anyone actually used tape? Do you leave the tape on the piston and if so would not the tape wear off and get caught in the valve spools and cause problems there? Although I must say this does seem like it would be an easy way to do it.

Drifter

Rap center part of the packing in tape then put hose clamp on for ten minutes then take off tape and hose clamp.

DK88

Occupation
Field service tech.
Use one of the wear rings and put it around the sealing ring and use a gear clamp if needed..Or if it's winter put the seals in the tip of the truck when it's running and heat them up for a few min. and makes hem much more plyable, and after install the air temp will shrink them relatively quickly.

equip guy

Occupation
Ag and Construction Equip mechanic
I too use a piston ring compressor with plenty of lube. Also I use at times some old micro fiche to protect around threads and barrel lip.