• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Replacing bushing:

Bandit44

I need some suggestions on how to replace the bushings on the tilt cylinder. It looks so simple but I can't get the pin to come out of the old bushing. This is on a 550H dozer. I have tried soaking with WD-40 and prying on the pin with a bar and hitting with a hammer but no luck. If anyone has any good ideas on how to get this pin out I am all ears.

Bandit44

rino1494

Heat it up with torches. Be careful when hitting it so that you don't mushroom the pin.

wrenchbender

Hi Bandit44, if you decide to go with the heat be sure to keep a cool wet cloth wrapped around the ram on the cylinder. I've heated them let'em cool a bit( pouring cold water on the pin) and knocked them right out. I've also beat my brains loose trying to get them out. And in the worst of cases have cut'em out(no fun)

Bandit44

The angle and tilt cylinders both have pins in the same place, one on top of the other. Can the top pin and the bottom pin which is for the angle both come out the bottom. I wasn't sure if the hole in the center plater would let the top pin be driven all the way through. I am trying to loacate the rubber pieces that are on the top and bottom of each bushing before using the hot wrench. I assume they are just for keeping out some of the dirt and mud, but the John Deere place doesn't show them on their parts diagram. Thanks for the suggestions and I will try the hot wrench next.

Bandit44

KMSEXC

Heat it then spray with wd 40 or we use pb blaster

heat it then spray with pb blaster watch it get suck in do that a couple of times then wack it with an nother pin same size or smaller