• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ripper Balance

Shamrock

I have heard conflicting things on "balancing" a Dozer with the use of the Ripper. Mainly:
1) Ripper (SS) all the way up, pitched all the way in.

2) Ripper all the way up, pitched so the top of the shank (err, holder?) is level with the ground. Puts the tooth just in front of the penetrating the ground position.

3) It does not matter.

I am not sure if I am just looking too hard but I do feel slightly less vibration during travel with the blade just over a foot off the ground and option 1.

Does anyone know which is true?

flashpuppy

It's up to the operator. Some guys like it this way, some guys like it that way. It's all what *feels* right to YOU!! Don't let anyone tell you what you like is wrong.

I have two Dresser TD40's. One has a ripper, one does not. Some guys will only run the unit with a ripper, some guys will only run the unit without a ripper. Both guys blame it on a "balance issue".

However, all the way up should have the least counterbalance effect. As close to parallel with the machine should have the most counterbalance. DO with that what you will.