• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

roading scrapers

counter

Occupation
manager
a while back, i posted about scraper bounce when roading! your responses really openend my eyes! i can understand the twin power units goin out of sync on the high speed roading, causing the constant push/pull thing to cause all the bounce! so if only roading with no load, why run the rear motor at all?

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Here is a story from my first week on scrapers...

I was running a terex ts14-b at the time and I did my Monday morning routine, started her up and ran after the other scrapers cause I was running a little late that morning. Into the cut I go, the cat picks my up, I fill the bowl and head for the fill area which was downhill from the cut. Get to the fill, unload, and head back up the hill and I have no power, can hardly get up the hill. Again into t eh cut I go, the cat picks my up... to the fill I go. Unload, head up the hill again, still no power. When I get to the top, I start trying to learn why I have no go. The push cat driver tracks by and yells, " You really should try using both motors!"

Sure enough, I was running with only my front motor, basically I was shy about 150 hp or so.
Most of the power in a pan comes from the back motor as the front motor, (in terex) has a hydraulic pump and an air pump robbing power and the back motor doesn't.

That means that on both motors you will get say 30mph, with just the front you might get 10mph. Roading at 10 would take awile.

3thirteen

Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
992G,

Spot on. An apprentice at our shop caught heat for pulling the unit (Cat 637G) in without the rear engine running. Lesson learned.....