• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

RPM's under load?

Welder Dave

I got the clutch master cylinder fixed on my 86 Champion 730A and it's working good. I did a little work on my oval track and noticed when under some load in 2nd gear it won't stay at full RPM. Once there's less load it will stay at full RPM's. Just wondering if this is normal? On the straights with a lighter load I could shift to 3rd. It has the 8400 transmission and Cummins 8.3.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
16 feet is a lot of material to push. I found the 14 a hard push on my 730

Welder Dave

I wasn't pushing too much at the time. I'll have to see what it does the next time I'm running it.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Dave, if you have good traction, any diesel will drop RPM under heavy load. If the traction is less than satisfactory, you'll get wheel slippage.

The ideal amount of wheel slippage is no more than 3% - anything over that, you're wasting fuel, increasing wear levels, and getting less material shifted for your effort.

Welder Dave

It seemed like it was dropping to about 3/4 throttle. Hopefully I'll be running it in the next week or so and I'll see what it does. There wasn't a heavy load on the blade. Under heavy load my tractor with a 3 cylinder Perkins will lug down pretty low without stalling. It's really nice having a working multi-power so I can instantly reduce forward speed about 20% without needing to clutch. Then the RPM's come back up. When the load is less I switch back to high on the multi- power. There's a reason the 3 cylinder Perkins have a huge following. I really like it.

Last edited: