• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Run from Ford 555a with welds on bucket linkage?

KevD815

Daman, you're better off stick welding those types of repairs (as long as you're buzz box has a high enough amperage rating). Stick welding will put a higher heat imput into the surrounding metal which will help the weld cool slower and keep it from becoming brittle. It will also help mantain heat in between passes which will also help prevent weld embrittlement.

With crack repair you're more concerned with the "toughness" of the weld than the tinsel strength. It needs to be able to flex and move with the metal surrounding it. The crack probably formed in the first place because the part got the sh*t kicked out of it for years so the repair needs to be able to take the abuse.

Its like pokin a pretty boy body builder in the eye. One good shot and hes cryin for mama. But that fat drunk guy at the end of the bar...well he can't bench press 500 pounds but you can smash chairs on him all night long with him spillin his beer.

daman

Occupation
Agriculture,Truck Driver,Mechanic
Thanks for your reply and explanation,one more Q do you pre heat(200-250) your repairs?

I'm no professional welder just trying to get some good tips aside from what i do from a guy in the know as i have a repair to do my self.

would a 180a DC welder get the job done or should use at least a 200a or bigger welder??

Last edited:

KevD815

Yep, 200-250 is a good pre-heat temp if your doing repairs similar to the pictures above. A 180 amp dc welder will let you use a 5/32" electrode which is nice for a multipass weld. As long as the weld isnt going to be really long or you dont need a ton of passes a 180a welder should have enough duty cycle to do what you need to do.

daman

Occupation
Agriculture,Truck Driver,Mechanic
No not long welds, at most 4-5" and under. thanks for the tips Kev. :notworthy

ADMSWELDING

Occupation
CERTIFIED WELDER/UNION SHEETMETAL WORKER LOCAL 17
The welds in the picture was not done by a welder.Welds do not crack if done right and the patch plates are junk.A good welder would gouge out then weld with out patch plates.
A welder would laugh at these welds.
Exactly and i,m laughing.:eek:

fishangler

i see your a southern guy also.so ill tell you my story i bought a fresh rebuilt ford 4500 form a guy who listed it for 6000.00.it wasnt new looking but not rusted up.needs pins tires and paint.he didnt list it as a new rbuid because guy he got it from said he just done it.after compression ck and examining for gasket replacements i agreed it was torn down and reassembled at least.offered hi 5000.00 he took it.and also delivered it some 60 miles away.point being is i looked for a long time and finally got 1 i wanted.so be patient deals are out there if you look and wait you will find 1. good luck