• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Scottish heavy equipment mechanic

Victor mcdade

Hi folks I'm just looking for a bit of advice, I've been a field heavy equipment mechanic in Scotland for around 25years and I've been thinking about heading to America, (NC) for work, I don't know if it's possible but, if it is, some advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Victor mcdade

I can't help you with working in America but if you can't get into America Canada is also an option.
There is a shortage of skilled workers here as well.
Terry
Thanks Terry, I've been approached by a few companies in Canada and the US and it's a bit daunting, I didn't realise there was a shortage in Canada and the other thing I found out was in Canada my qualifications don't count and I would have to be an apprentice again but I don't know if that's true or not, but I will keep on digging. I posted just to see if anyone else had made the move because one way or another we are leaving the UK.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Canada would welcome you. Yes we do have apprenticeships for every recognized trade but you can likely challenge the exams and get your Red Seal, which I believe is recognized in many countries worldwide. The tests are not difficult. I can only speak for Alberta but the provincial tests were theory based and honestly not that difficult. The Red Seal exams were experience based and with the amount of years you have under your belt I don't think you'd have trouble with it.

You would need to speak to the apprenticeship board in the province you intend to move to for specific information on your situation since the apprenticeship program isn't standardized countrywide.

skyking1

Victor, first of all welcome.
You might be able to journey in to the operating engineers union in the right location. I'd say it is worth a few emails.
Try my little hall at
https://www.iuoelocal612.org/

It's a good benefit package that would travel with you whichever employer you are at. I have had dozens of gigs and every one of them paid into the pension I am about to start taking. Every one of them contributed to our medical bank, which is down a bit after several trips, but still at 7 months. I could retire now and our medical is covered through the end of August.

They might have the answers to some questions.

cfherrman

I don't really know what you need but having worked with plethora of illegal Mexicans I'm sure you will be fine in the us.

One of my friends, also my diesel mechanic, is 22 and is pretty swamped with work, you having more experience than he has age I'm sure you can find money somewhere.

mekanik

Probably 40% of the mechanics I worked for over the last 43 years did not have qualifications.
Some of those were better mechanics than some of the ones with qualifications.
I challenged five trades qualification exams and passed them all. I don't think you would have a
problem based on your experience.
I would be willing to bet that if you came here and brought your Scottish qualifications and a resume
you would find a job the first day if not the first place you applied.
A lot of big companies and crown corporations require proof of qualifications but most smaller
companies and a lot of truck and equipment dealerships do not.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
There are a few companies in Alaska that sponsor H-B1 visa workers for the tourism industry including mechanics for the tour bus fleets and lodge maintenance. The trick will be finding a company to sponsor you. I bet you could find a Caterpillar dealer to sponsor you. Or, just cross the Southern boarder like everyone else.

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
A red seal trade qualification from any Canadian Provence except Quebec is recognized across Canada (except Quebec). At work, most of the mechanic helpers 10 years ago took a night school coarse and challenged the Red Seal test. Good luck wherever you land. Cam

Victor mcdade

Canada would welcome you. Yes we do have apprenticeships for every recognized trade but you can likely challenge the exams and get your Red Seal, which I believe is recognized in many countries worldwide. The tests are not difficult. I can only speak for Alberta but the provincial tests were theory based and honestly not that difficult. The Red Seal exams were experience based and with the amount of years you have under your belt I don't think you'd have trouble with it.

You would need to speak to the apprenticeship board in the province you intend to move to for specific information on your situation since the apprenticeship program isn't standardized countrywide.
Thanks for the info, I will check it out, I've had a few interested companies from both Canada and America, I not to worried about the red seal as like you say I've got a few years under my belt

Victor mcdade

Why are you leaving ?
Please indulge us with some info on the state of affairs over there.
Oh, that would take forever , but suffice to say that Scotland has become Germany just before the second world war, and all the folks that don't want to work are living high on the hog and the small percentage that do work FULL TIME are paying for it and if you voice your opinion on this you can potentially get arrested and I'm not kidding

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Oh, that would take forever , but suffice to say that Scotland has become Germany just before the second world war, and all the folks that don't want to work are living high on the hog and the small percentage that do work FULL TIME are paying for it and if you voice your opinion on this you can potentially get arrested and I'm not kidding
Canada is not much better off TBH. I'll just leave it at that. If it wasn't for family I'd have immigrated to the middle of nowhere in Montana, Idaho or Wyoming.

Victor mcdade

Probably 40% of the mechanics I worked for over the last 43 years did not have qualifications.
Some of those were better mechanics than some of the ones with qualifications.
I challenged five trades qualification exams and passed them all. I don't think you would have a
problem based on your experience.
I would be willing to bet that if you came here and brought your Scottish qualifications and a resume
you would find a job the first day if not the first place you applied.
A lot of big companies and crown corporations require proof of qualifications but most smaller
companies and a lot of truck and equipment dealerships do not.
Yes I know, it's the same over here, my journey man had hardly went to school and didn't have a qualification to his name but he was the finest heavy equipment mechanic I've ever worked with, it was him that made me go to college and get my papers, and at the time in Scotland it was a 5 year deal but as soon as I got my drivers license at 17 he put me out on the road and told me you'd better learn quickly and 26 years later I'm still learning

Victor mcdade

I don't really know what you need but having worked with plethora of illegal Mexicans I'm sure you will be fine in the us.

One of my friends, also my diesel mechanic, is 22 and is pretty swamped with work, you having more experience than he has age I'm sure you can find money somewhere.
Thanks for the info, I'm not looking to move Purley for a financial gain it was more for space and a new way of life is probably the biggest driving force, also Canada seems to look after there trades a lot better than in Scotland, there's also the fact that I would be an immigrant and I really wouldn't want to be taking another man's job.