• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Several questions/issues CAT 315L

Tim98TA

1 - A while back I had to change the engine speed control module with the cable. It was a plug and play deal.
Before I changed it, the AES would work like it was supposed to. 3 seconds and no demand, goes to idle.
Now I have to keep the switch in MANUAL mode and use the RABBIT / TURTOISE switch for speed control.

2 - Just replaced the main hydraulic pump. Before, being replaced, the machine was stuck in LOW Travel Speed. The button made no difference.
Now it only goes in high speed travel.
This makes it hard on the machine to go up inclines and the machine bogs down. Button makes no difference.

3 - Before changing the pump, at idle, I could push the boom down and it would attempt to raise the machine. I could here the engine load up.
Now, at idle I push the boom down and I don't even hear the engine load up at all.
If I click the speed up a few notches, it works fine.
As a matter of fact, none of the functions work at idle now.

4 - My swing brake was acting up before the pump replacement, but now it is worse.
It seems every time I stop traveling, almost every time I stop another function, I can't swing. I have to step on the travel pedals for it to release.
Sometimes, swinging slowly, I can feel the brake starting to engage..

ahart

A couple of questions to get started.
(1) What is the serial number of your machine?
(2) Did you perform the calibration procedure on the new governor actuator after you replaced it?
(3) Why was the main pump changed?
(4) Did you calibrate the PRV after the pump replacement?
(5) Have you had gauges on the hydraulic system to check the main relief setting?

Tim98TA

A couple of questions to get started.
(1) What is the serial number of your machine? 6YM02363
(2) Did you perform the calibration procedure on the new governor actuator after you replaced it?
No. I was unaware that needed to be done. How is it done?
(3) Why was the main pump changed? The original pump went completely out
(4) Did you calibrate the PRV after the pump replacement?
No. I was unaware that needed to be done. How is it done?
(5) Have you had gauges on the hydraulic system to check the main relief setting? No, I have not.

ahart

Lucky for you, your machine is old enough to do everything through the monitor and no computer connection is required. In the file I’ve attached, the calibration will be towards the bottom. I would do the governor cal first and then do the PRV.

Attachments

• 315L Test:adjust .pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

Tim98TA

AWESOME. Thanks so much for the information. I will try to get that done this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Above and beyond what @ahart has attached above, if you are going to get into repairing and servicing this machine by yourself then IMO you REALLY need a service manual. The Caterpillar Publication reference is SENR6180. Consider the manual as an investment that you could probably sell separately for the same as you paid for it if you ever sold the excavator.

Here is a link to one on eBay. FYI the new price for a paper copy is $800 + S&H. You can also get the same information in pdf format on a CD for $565.

Tim98TA

Thanks Nige, but I originally bought this machine to do a project on my land that was supposed to last about a year. I'm about 14 months in due to downtime weather, etc.
Once the project is done, I will sell the machine. I've spent WAY more than the original plans for any repairs. I just don't want to invest any more.

Tim98TA

Lucky for you, your machine is old enough to do everything through the monitor and no computer connection is required.
I could not do either calibration. My monitor does not/did not display any readings that would pertain to either calibration.
Attached is a picture of my monitor. Maybe mine does not perform the calibrations on the monitor?

Attachments

• 20240414_143518.jpg
    20240414_143518.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8

Tim98TA

Am I missing something on the monitor? I tried again, but I still do not see any codes/calibration numbers being displayed.
I have never had an error code flash on the screen either. I have seen the error symbols(coolant hot and low oil pressure) flash in the bottom portion of the screen, but that is it.

Tim98TA

See if the attachment helps you to make more sense of it. It contains the SysOp as well as the T&A.
Yes this helps. It shows me how to get into the calibration mode. Thanks a bunch. I will try to get to it next week.