• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Should I get another Cat 953. Which model do you think is the best?

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
I currently have 2 953 A models. Mine have never given me a problem other than normally wear items, such as blown hoses, burnt out exhaust pipes, and wearing the bottoms out. They have never failed to start or run, and have been what I would consider to be an excellent machines.

I have one on job and the customer wants to buy it. His offer is hard to refuse. He has seen the machine work and wants to save some money on future projects. I will loose his work but he will get another machine, he has a 30 acre track he is working on and he wants to put an hourly guy on a tractor. I know my machine just by the vibrations and the sound and I take care of it. Not sure he will get what it has given me but if I sell it I can pretty much buy whatever other used machine is out there. I dont really see too many 953A now and I have heard that the hydrostats are hard to get parts for and too expensive to fix and that the machine are shipping out of country or being decommissioned...

Should I get another newer machine. Do you guys have any thoughts on this. I have been on the fence about letting a tractor that always seems to work go. Even though I realize it will go down at some point. It is a full cat rebuild machine with 4500 hours on it...

What would you do ?

Last edited by a moderator:

crane operator

Is any used machine going to be as good as the used machine that you have, for the $$$ he is going to give you for it?

Or is the $$$ from the used machine, going to be a down payment on a new one?

TCat

I currently have 2 953 A models. Mine have never given me a problem other than normally wear items, such as blown hoses, burnt out exhaust pipes, and wearing the bottoms out. They have never failed to start or run, and have been what I would consider to be an excellent machines.

I have one on job and the customer wants to buy it. His offer is hard to refuse. He has seen the machine work and wants to save some money on future projects. I will loose his work but he will get another machine, he has a 30 acre track he is working on and he wants to put an hourly guy on a tractor. I know my machine just by the vibrations and the sound and I take care of it. Not sure he will get what it has given me but if I sell it I can pretty much buy whatever other used machine is out there. I dont really see too many 953A now and I have heard that the hydrostats are hard to get parts for and too expensive to fix and that the machine are shipping out of country or being decommissioned...

Should I get another newer machine. Do you guys have any thoughts on this. I have been on the fence about letting a tractor that always seems to work go. Even though I realize it will go down at some point. It is a full cat rebuild machine with 4500 hours on it...

What would you do ?
Personally I think a machine you know the repair and maintenance history of is far better than one that you don't. I previously had a 953(A) series and that was a great machine, they seem to be bringing a lot more money now than what I sold it for six years ago. If you lose a customer and a good machine I think that's a lose, lose. Let your customer be the one to roll the dice with a used loader purchase.

If you run into a problem where you break something and can't get parts to repair the machine, then you deal with that then. Until then you have a machine that continues to pay for itself with good service.

kenworth

Occupation
Jack of a Few Trades, Master of None
Totally agree with Tinkerer, keep your machine that you know and let the other guy gamble on a used machine that could be a potential nightmare.

ippielb

Only way I'd upgrade is to get a D model. The operator comfort of a D model is unbelievable compared to prior units. Cabs are quieter, the seat and controls are all connected and move up and down with the seat saving on shoulder/ wrists. The visibility from inside the cab is better, parts are easy to get. But the price difference is unbelievable from a C to a D.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Is any used machine going to be as good as the used machine that you have, for the $$$ he is going to give you for it?

Or is the $$$ from the used machine, going to be a down payment on a new one?
Bottom has 500 hours left on it. Based on the prices i have been seeing I would need to add a good bit of money to get a newer machine with a good bottom 40 to 50 k. But bottoms are now $20,000.00

TCat

Bottom has 500 hours left on it. Based on the prices i have been seeing I would need to add a good bit of money to get a newer machine with a good bottom 40 to 50 k. But bottoms are now $20,000.00
Out of curiosity what does the customer want to pay you for your good running 953?

Tags

Not enough in my opinion to switch to a used machine that will more than likely cost twice as much to buy, has tons of electronics, and who knows what kinds of problems. You know what you have and how it acts, I would keep it and give it what it needs as it’s needed. You know what you have and to me that’s invaluable.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Not enough in my opinion to switch to a used machine that will more than likely cost twice as much to buy, has tons of electronics, and who knows what kinds of problems. You know what you have and how it acts, I would keep it and give it what it needs as it’s needed. You know what you have and to me that’s invaluable.
It is definitely a hard decision. I was thinking about looking for a machine with a rear ripper, but I am not even sure I would ever use it. The customer does not have experience on these size or types of machines, so he is ok with paying me a little more for something he knows that works. Then it would be up to me to find something similar that has a better bottom on it.

I think back to having a chance to get a 953b with brand new under carriage and a rear ripper for $22,500.00. I did not want to take on debt and passed it up, still kicking myself over that.