• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sliding axle/tilt recovery trailers and excavators

Taiga

I have a 55ton sliding axle (travelling axle) trailer and move wheeled equipment, I would like to buy an excavator and was wondering if there was any issue with loading something with tracks. Can a guy throw down some rubber belting to protect the deck and load/unload no problem? 8 degree slope.
I am not height limited here. Looking at a 20-25ton machine.

skyking1

They have no particilar issue if the trailer is rated for it. We abused the crap out of a 3 axle slider pintle trailer up on Mt. Rainier and the procedure involved taking an operator (me) along to assist with the excavator.

Taiga

They have no particilar issue if the trailer is rated for it. We abused the crap out of a 3 axle slider pintle trailer up on Mt. Rainier and the procedure involved taking an operator (me) along to assist with the excavator.
Put rubber on the deck or just drive on the wood/rails?

skyking1

we climbed whatever was there. Excavators are not that hard on wood decks with the smoother tracks. They usually rot out before we beat them to death out west.
Like any load, you may put it farther forward to facilitate the axle slide, and then move it back where it belongs for the axle weights.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Do it all the time. We hire out our moves to a local towing company that has a built Pete and 3 axle Landoll. Without a doubt it's my first choice to move our 325 and 321. Regularly we'll put the D3 and 533 roller on the same load.

This trailer has the apitong deck that's held up very well and our guy hauls a lot of equipment for contractors all over the state.

I'd love to have one but we don't move enough to pay for one and don't want to be in the lowboy side hustle business to pay for one.

Oh yeah - Welcome to the Forums Tg! Glad to have you.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Nice tractor and trailer setup. Are those 22.5's on the trailer?

Oxbow

They can make for a wild ride with icy tracks and/or deck, but our local Cat rental stores use them for excavators up to 65k or so.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
They can make for a wild ride with icy tracks and/or deck, but our local Cat rental stores use them for excavators up to 65k or so.

Ice? What's that? :p

crane operator

Here in Missouri that would be a permit to move the empty trailer around, so nobody runs 10’ wide trailers here. And I know I’ve never seen a 10’ rollback trailer. Didn’t even know anyone made one.

My rollback trailer is a 8’ wide paver trailer built by trail-eze. we throw down some conveyor belt when we load tracked equipment. Mine is only a tandem.

But I’ve been looking at some Tri axle trailers. Mine doesn’t like to slide with more than about 30-35,000 lbs on it. Which I think is because we need to replace the main rollers. I’ve got the rollers bought , just need some extra time.

Try to be careful if the trailer is sitting on a side slope, then it is easy to walk/slide off the side.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
The one we load on is 8' wide so the 325 and 321 hang off each side but within the width allowed on an annual over width permit in AL.