• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

small grizzly gravel screen project

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator
squidrig
thank you for the two photos.
one the second photo I notice that you have steel channel covering the rebar in two locations on the deck slope every other bar across the width of the deck at both locations, wondering why you did that.
How are the rebar grizzly bars holding up?
I like your set up and costed out 3/4 inch rebar, financially the cash spent to build with rebar is much less then 1 inch steel round or 1 x 4 bar.
If you were going to build it again what would you do differently?

squidrig

Occupation
cranberry grower
I made every other rebar removable by welding short lengths of square tube on the frAme and sliding the rebar down thru from the top. When they are removed much larger pieces get thru but it plugs waaay to quick so if I did it again I would have just
Welded all the bar in place. The removable bars are the ones that I accidently hook with the bucket at times sononce again welded
Would be better. I looked but I don't have anymore pics
Of it in use but it is still going strong.

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator
squidring
I have located a source for 1 inch rebar which I plan on using, with at the top of the screen cross braces located each 12 inches for the drop zone area, that should help reducing the rebar bending.
Noticed in photo you welded the rebar directly on the frame cross bracing bars, I am thinking of welding the rebar on 1/2 inch thick steel bar the width of the cross brace; to elevate it above the cross steel brace 3 inches. My thinking is that would reduce the number of rocks sticking on the screen surface.
You have used your grizzly for a while now, on your screen does the rock get stuck where the cross brace and rebar are located, more so then just stuck between the rebars.
My plans is to have a slope of 40 degrees what is your screen slope at?

squidrig

Occupation
cranberry grower
If u mean to put short vertical pieces of 1/2"x3" the width of the braces , I think that would be a good mod. Mine does catch some in those areas at times but not bad at all. When I use it to get the clunkers out of loam, it's the small roots and such that hang up on the cross pieces more than the stones. As far as the angle goes steeper is better with a non vibrating/ moving grizzly. I think mine is closer to 60 degrees. In the pictures mine is in the carry position with the cutting edge holding it up on some tabs that were already on the truck body (it was a dump body) and the top of the screen just rests against the metal on the cab of the skid steer . When I set it down to use it , it is tipped forward abit more than what the pics show.

blake69

I have a cattleguard on my dirt road. no more cattle where i live. So i am going to take it out and fill hole with dirt. I want to use the cattleguard to make a grizzlyscreen. Any of you done that?
two pieces total. I would like to make this usable by a loader in the future as well as my current skiploader. Could any of you fine folks give me an idea of good dimensions i should build to? Also should i build stand out of Ibeam? heavy tubing? rather just ask on this thread than start a new one
thanks!!
my son and i used a cattle guard for one a year ago ...heavy but i drag it around upside down and flip it....works great

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
As for moisture content of material; I got 12 loads of stuff that wouldn't pass through a vibratory screen (Reed Screen All). The stuff is HEAVY, mostly clay, mixed with a fair amount of blasted ledge.
I piled it in a mound & let it drain best I could. It needed a lot of knocking the pile down to loosen it enough to pass through the 5" gaps in my grizzly, but I was able to separate. I find some limit as to what I can use the fines for, but they do grow grass. The rock makes perfect road bed.

aighead

Yet another thread I didn't see that would have made my life easier (and cheaper), waa-waaaaa. I like that rebar design. Depending on how my wire decks hold up I may have to augment mine...