• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Small Tractors? Massey Ferguson 230?

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
That "Slime" seems to work pretty well, but I have been told it will rust the rims. About 5 years ago, a large landowner asked me to mow a couple of hundred acres I had cleared by mulching, 6 or 7 years before. It was totally overgrown with thorny Mesquite bushes/trees. They provided an all wheel drive, 100 + horsepower, New Holland tractor with a front loader, and a big batwing mower. I was instructed to mow anything the tractor would push over, if possible. Before we started, the ranch foreman bought four, 5 gal. buckets of Slime. He pumped a full bucket into each tire. I mowed for about 2 months, and never had one flat. I am pretty impressed with that stuff. Of course, I would hate to be the one who finally had to pull a tire off for repair. I bet that was a mess.
Jeff

aighead

Whoa! That's a ton of slime! I'm hoping it holds because of the mess I also assume it makes on the inside and I'd feel bad for whomever I pay to replace the tire.

I haven't heard the rust issue before. Let's hope not but I assume the rim isn't terribly expensive, just hopefully I don't learn the hard way.

aighead

So far the slime seems to be working.

I was messing around on tractor a week or two ago and noticed that steering fluid (oil) mentioned earlier still seems to be leaking out from under the steering wheel (like down the front of the dashboard pooling a bit between my legs as I drive) and possibly at a greater volume. It was getting too cold to mess with it or look too deeply into it but I'm confused of what may be leaking there. I guess I need to take all the side panels off to see what's up. I didn't think it was leaking too badly but the steering was getting progressively harder while I was moving things around, so I need to open the reservoir to see if it is approaching empty... It doesn't seem like there should be anything under there spitting fluid but what do I know...

aighead

I crack the whole dashboard section open sometime over the next few days and hopefully get a good look in there. Thanks!

aighead

An update, for anyone that may care... I've tried changing the power steering filter, Wix didn't know what they were talking about and neither did I. I got a filter that isn't even close to fitting properly. With all the filters in the world can I just try to find one with the same diameter hole and run with that? I'm struggling to find the appropriate item.

I also parked the tractor in the barn and went out a bit later to find a flat big tire. Again, I wasn't surprised due to the junk I was cutting in the back field, but I figured I'd have to buy a new tire or tube. Welp, I lucked out and refilled it and it has held air for a month plus now. It may have been sitting in a rut in the barn in a strange way that allowed the leak. No new tire needed as of now!

My steering leak has been fixed? I couldn't seem to keep fluid from leaking out under the steering wheel itself so I took as much off the dashboard as I could, removed the steering wheel and dug into things as best I could without dismantling everything and found a block, presumably with the orbitrol in it(?), and tightened some bolts there. They weren't very loose but I tightened them maybe an eighth of a turn more, maybe less, and the leak seems to be gone.

So far so good.

Delmer

Any name or number on the power steering pump or old filter? I'd try that route first, but if that fails, you can match up a filter, or at least try.

JaredV

Can you take a picture of the reservoir? It might be the same as my 135 and I can look it up.

RobertJ

Napa 1653 or AGCO 1052262M91 should be the correct filter for the power steering. Here is the measurements on the Napa filter www.nfhconnect.com/Lookup/PartDetail?Part=128646&Brand=NAP&hb=688

It may have been mentioned in a previous post but you can look up the parts diagrams on agco's website.
Depending on your serial number its https://parts.agcocorp.com/en_US/ap...651371/l&name=230 (PRIOR TO 9A349239) TRACTOR
or https://parts.agcocorp.com/en_US/ap...n/651448/l&name=230 (9A349239 AND UP) TRACTOR

aighead

Thanks guys. I'll see if there are any markings on the reservoir. I don't remember any offhand, but I could be wrong. The one that is currently in there is a wreck.

@RobertJ I can't tell it that's the same size I got from Wix, I know the part # I bought from them ended up being way too small. Thank you for the resources! I think I have the early version.

I'll check on it late and get back. Thanks again.

aighead

Since I feel like I'm becoming known for making dumb mistakes...

Can someone suggest a decent way to add a foot to the blade I have? I feel like it's an easy task but every time I feel that way I mess up, costing time and money. I want a stand, of sorts, to add to the blade, that I can fold up out of the way but will support the blade when not on the tractor. I know they make them but I'd prefer to rig something up. I have handle iron around or I could probably find something that works (wood?).

The blade can be seen here: https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/small-tractors-massey-ferguson-230.92552/post-1058724

JaredV

Drill a hole through a short (6ish inches, whatever looks right) piece of pipe or tubing for a pin, then weld it vertically wherever you can near the hitch. Take another piece a couple feet long or whatever length you need that's a smaller diameter to fit nicely inside the first piece and drill holes in it for the pin to go through wherever you need them. Weld a piece of plate for a foot on the bottom. Now you've got a leg that slides vertically up out of the way and only hangs down as far as you let it, which if done carefully could only be the thickness of the foot plus maybe a little more.