• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Small Tractors? Massey Ferguson 230?

aighead

Good call Dave, I'll have to keep an eye on that. Would it be suggested to keep it thusly as short as possible? I need to watch the video colson linked to more closely, I didn't consider how it may be affecting the implements.

colson04

Good call Dave, I'll have to keep an eye on that. Would it be suggested to keep it thusly as short as possible? I need to watch the video colson linked to more closely, I didn't consider how it may be affecting the implements.

You need to set the top link so your implements are in correct position when in use. ie: mower is level while mowing, plow or back blade in correct cutting position, etc.

So, length of top link changes depending on the attachment being used.

Welder Dave

Some implements it just works out the top link is the same length. Things like a rototiller require the implement to be level. Other implements like a box blade, rear blade or landscape rake can require multiple lengths to get the desired results. That's why hyd. top links are common on box blades. You can adjust it on the fly as required.

aighead

Welp, out chopping up leaves as the little mower is breaking mower deck belts like its its job.

I looked down and MFer is bleeding! A lot!

20221016_142027.jpg

You can see a little cut on that hose on the right just below the fitting. I don't know what that connection is? I didn't look under the hood to see but I assume there's another fitting I need to take off up there, then take the whole thing to the hose store to get it pressure fitted on? Looks to be going to the steering cylinder. I left the tractor sitting out behind the barn as I didn't trust driving it back while it was bleeding so bad. I guess I've upped the necessity of finding new oil for her.

20221016_142031.jpg

Delmer

I'd do some searching for replacement hoses, probably available and cheaper than a hydraulics place for something like that. That's all one piece like you say, they'll make you a new one, bring them both because they're the same age.

Welder Dave

It looks like the steel part is part of the whole assembly and you have to replace everything. Maybe there's a way the rubber section comes apart from the steel section??? Would have to check in a manual or at an MF dealer to see what fluid the steering takes. I'm not sure if it uses power steering fluid or Perma-tran like the diff. and hyd's. I'm not fortunate enough to have power steering.

Delmer

You can grind and chisel that crimp off, then reuse the fittings, but you'll need your own hose crimper because no business will take that risk, even on a small tractor power steering hose.

aighead

Well, unfortunately it looks like it won't be easy as the hard lines appear to be running up behind the dashboard, under all the wiring and junk. Is there anything wrong with running straight hydraulic hoses without the hard lines if I attempt to hold them in place? I'll keep searching for the parts but so far I haven't found anything that looks remotely close to the correct hoses.

The shop manual only seems to specify info on the various pumps, so no good info on how to access those hoses.

Welder Dave

The steel lines are likely for being more compact to fit in the space. Would have to investigate further if there's room to run hoses in behind the dash. Maybe depending on the size of the steel lines they could be flared so a standard JIC hose fitting could be used. I had a steel line on my Cat rub through and to remove it would require dismantling half the machine. Would have been a major PIA to do. I took a small hacksaw and cut the line leaving the complex bend from the hyd. valve intact. A hose wouldn't work. Anyway I had a hyd. shop flare the line and then I used 2 compact hyd. hoses with 90 deg. on one to go the rest of the way. There is such a thing as compact hyd. hose that is smaller in OD.

aighead

As far as I can tell this is the instruction for getting to the hoses... I guess I need to look harder for the right thing. I have a JD dealer down the way but don't know if they could make something that would fit.

20221017_141248.jpg

20221017_141252.jpg

Welder Dave

Just for the hoses I'd guess there doesn't need to be as much disassembly as removing the whole steering gear. Taking the hood off should give a better look.

aighead

I got the one holey hose out but it's about an 1/8th of on inch at a time. The 2nd one is really in there with no space to jam a wrench. You can barely see the other one I got at about 5 o'clock.

Screenshot_20221017-151840_Gallery.jpg

Welder Dave

I dare say maybe just fix the leaking hose. Steering is typically less pressure and not usually catastrophic if a hose gets a leak.

aighead

Well, I got the 2nd off, and in the name of getting it done, after some additional searching and not finding the correct parts, I just got 2 soft hydraulic lines. Access up to the fittings isn't too bad but is tight at the fitting, we'll see if the new ones will work and it I can snug them up enough. Update in a bit.

Thanks guys!

Delmer

Should work fine. maybe a little more rubbing of wires and a little tighter in there, but it will work fine. If you got the right threads for the adapters.

aighead

Wires, I don't think, will be an issue. I don't know how hot anything gets along that run but I assume the oil is nearly as hot so hopefully it'll be OK. I may be able to shield the hose if it looks like I need to...

aighead

OK, hoses are on, hopefully tight enough. I guess I could use some little stubby box wrenches.

Unfortunately I'm out of power steering fluid, and I'm done for the night. I'll try to find something that works tomorrow, I guess. It's calling for permatrans 3, so I'll have to look in the thread above to see what was suggested.

aighead

@Welder Dave

I'm reading back and the post you made, quoted below, on page 4, is insane. Thank you. You've gone and explained exactly everything that is going on with the 3 pt. hitch. Even some helpful tricks and methods to get the most out of this beast!

Well done, man!

It's interesting to go back and read things about experiences, learning and such, and understanding, more clearly, what someone is talking about. I'm lost in conversation with you guys a lot but I started understanding what you were talking about here. That's pretty cool.

"Looking at your pic. of the mower and som.."

Welder Dave

Thanks, we've had an MF 135 since about 1980 so have put 2 or 3000 thousand hours on it. Once you figure out the 3pt. with draft and position control you really appreciate it over just and up and down control on a lot of other tractors.
Glad you got hoses to fit. I should have suggested some of the abrasion resistant sleeve over the hoses where they might rub.