• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

snow chains for a 110 john deere backhoe

good-dog

Thinking of putting snow chains on the john deer 110 backhoe Been told not a good idea to put chains on the back tires ,not enough clearances. So was looking to put them on the front.
Is it worth spending the extra money getting the chains with the lugs
Backhoe is never driven on asphalt just sand/gravel driveway and not much faster than a quick walk .But the driveway does get icy over the winter when plowing snow.
Any suggestions would be great Keep in mind live in Ont so need to buy as to not ship them from the states.
thank to all

seville009

Should be able to eyeball it to see what clearance you have. Can even grab a regular heavy duty chain just to see if that clears everything, as that would be just as big (or bigger) than tire chains.

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
I've put chains on the front tires of my hoe many times corks on them are not necessary but multiple cross links are eg. every other link of the side rails or they could just end up in the tire lugs or one with a center ring would be best.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
I have run front chains on my little kubota tractor for years and have had no issues. I can't run chains on the rear due to the spacing. there are companies who make wheel spacers to be able to run chains on the rear. Check out tirechains.com and tirechainsrequired.com for some pricing ideas.

DualsportWA

Since brakes are only in the back, I would be leary if front-only chains, but my terrain is relatively steep... :)

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
I have ran chains on every Kubota I have had had them on my L48 for a long time made a set of spacers and got a new set for the back wish I had went that route before. It's like a tank now only problem is if I have to road it someplace which I don't do much anymore just down to two of the neighbors to help them out.