• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

snow removal experience

Jim Dandy

Thought I would tell the forum about my recent snow plowing experiences. Had a pick up with a plow and a rubber tired skid steer NH LS 160, and a JD 332 rubber track machine. The snow ended up being a little over 2 feet in our area and was light a fluffy. During the storm the pick up had the most traction and was the most productive. The rubber tire and rubber track machine had trouble with traction. After it stopped snowing the rubber tire and rubber track machines became very productive. During the storm you would make a pass and almost immediately it would be like there was a heavy coat of drywall dust where you just pushed and this created the traction problem. I charged a 100/hr per machine and 100/hr for the pickup. No one voiced any objections. Both machines cutting edges are shot so I will have to get new ones. Also paid my two guys 20/hr and gave them extra hours as we ended up working long hours till late in the AM and sleeping in the office. Plus they are excellent workers who don't bitch and complain and know how to run machines. Also went through about 180 dollars worth of gas and went through about 130 gallons of offroad diesel. With the skid steers a running start and passes in straight lines was the only way to be productive. Both skid steers had buckets not blades. I think I will invest in a set of chains for the New Holland. After the storm the people wanted the hard packed snow/ice to come up and a pickup with a blade would not touch it but the skid steers you could put a lot of pressure on the bucket edge and get it up which is what the customers wanted. Look forward to your comments.