• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Somebody has to do it, and nobody else volunteers: the fixing saga

NRath

You taught those barrel kids a lesson not soon to be forgotten! However, I see a bath tub saying you smell worse than the yard dog. Are you going to stand for that that from an old yard tub?! Oh dang, it also said your excavator was ugly! Man, that yard is out of control!

skyking1

Soon, soon. All the cast iron will feel the wrath of the mini, it all must go!
The building will go next. Even that 100' radio tower is a goner.

skyking1

I took the truck by the shop to get the yoke and U-joint ordered. I have been running with a spinning cap for far too long now. Time's up!
They crawled in there and measured and took notes, and hopefully get it coming.
I have never messed with large u-joints or that big arsed nut that holds the yoke to the transmission. I am not going to start now.
I will get it back to them as soon as I can shift again.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Man, I could have used a couple burn barrels . . .

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I suppose in the interest of the safety of the rest of the internet, I know that flammables in confined spaces is potentially very dangerous. I am not sure of all the proper protocols, besides being sure to remove the bungs first. I have generally picked barrels that held antifreeze or detergents to cut open, rather than oils.

Truck Shop

besides being sure to remove the bungs first. I have generally picked barrels that held antifreeze or detergents to cut open, rather than oils.
I worked building above ground skid tanks for onsite fuel storage or aircraft deicing fluid.
Up to 12,000 gallon, used buried fuel tanks. Went through allot of steps to purge and test
before I torched a 24" dia hole for a entrance to clean and inspect inside. Then welded a
24" explosion proof/type manhole in place. Just stay away from ends of tank while being
cut.

terex herder

Steel hammer striking steel tool can cause sparks. That is why there are non-sparking bronze tools such as Berylco and Ampco.

skyking1

It has not happened in my 50 years of doing this method. If you let a wedge mushroom enough it can toss off a hot curl.
We dress them on the grinder to prevent that.

skyking1

I called the truck shop to ask about yoke and U-joint, and found out that the service writer guy did not know what he was looking at when I brought the truck by a couple of weeks ago.
He had nothing. I brought it by again and the mechanic guru looked at it, and figures new U-joint plus new straps and bolts will fix it up, no need to change the yoke.
Today I left it with them to get done at their leisure. It's that kind of truck, I don't run it 8/5 let alone 24/7.
Better to have them deal with it properly. I was happy to drop it off intact and mobile :)

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Hatchet and sledge. No sparks no blowing up.
View attachment 285296

That is a much thicker fuel oil tank, but I cut it out with the same method. 55 gallon ends are much easier.
I've cut dozens of 275 oil tanks with acetylene torch. Liquid doesn't burn. fuel oil isn't very volatile. Sparks get quenched by the liquid.
One night I was cutting one laid flat on forks. My son & his buddy asked me to move they wanted to get to that bay of the garage, I was blocking the door.
In moving, I sloshed a bit of fuel oil on the gravel driveway.
When I resumed cutting, the ground immediately burst into hot flame.

On another occasion I was removing a 20,000 gallon tank a friend in a bit of insanity had had hauled in. I'll guess it contained 25 gallons of oil & water in a mix. I didn't know what to do with the filthy mess. I decided to try to burn it off down to water. I sloshed some up on the wall of the tank, ignited it with an acetylene cutting torch. It took off in a roar! Horizontal flame shot from the end of the tank, before turning vertical! It sounded like a jet. People came to watch! I was sure I'd end up arrested for this, but police never came.

skyking1

That oil tank in the picture was the same. I had drained all of it out and used my siphon can, but the sludge and rust held a lot of fuel. I started cutting the other end out, and up she went! It took about 10 minutes to burn out clean and I resumed slicing and dicing. The scrapyard got some cleaned steel.

skyking1

I knocked together a landing for an office trailer at the job sites. It had a metal staircase but it was awkward to negotiate the door at the top and the guys complained about the hazard.
I put it together using my forklift Tuesday night and put it on the truck, and took it down there and unloaded it with the job site forklift.
Then I attached those heavy metal steps to it and finished out the handrail.
I used old lumber from around the yard for the deck and a lot of the lower stuff and picked up a few new 2x6s for the structural.
It was nice to recycle materials. The founder of this company passed away on mother's Day and he was of that era where everything was saved and reused.
PXL_20230517_170948909.jpg

PXL_20230517_170958791.jpg

skyking1

The parts guy said the forklift was leaking and had a bad hose. He got it half right, the hose was bad but that was not the leak. One of the main lift cylinders was all wet, so I took it out today. Tomorrow we will see if we can repair it ourselves.
PXL_20230518_190640877-1.jpgPXL_20230518_203805345-1.jpg

skyking1

I got the cap off with hammer and brass drift. At first it did not look too bad, then I got a Milwaukee camera and took a look in there. Not so sweet.

I have the seal kit coming tomorrow. Does this look like a lost cause for DIY?
The parts person emailed me the breakdown. I have removed the snap ring and washer, but no luck on getting the check valve #5 out of the bottom of the piston.

PXL_20230519_181910660.jpgPXL_20230519_181928182.jpgPXL_20230519_181920823.jpg

Attachments

• Hypass Pre-2000 Data _ D177 (H45-65XM) _ 9. TWO STAGE LIMITED FREE-LIFT Assembly _ 4. CYLINDER...pdf
    241.5 KB · Views: 4