• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Spring/summer works

20/80

Occupation
operator
Yes you can run the disc itself in float the block the cylinder is tied to if it’s in middle it will allow it to float you just change the disc aggressiveness with your lift group here is a video I did on how to properly use the retriever disc on my YouTube channel

Yes you are right, you do not want to be to aggressive with the disc's, some area's here leave a huge trench on the edge of the ditch from digging to deep and not filling it back in, what great vid, thanks so much for sharing.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Yes you are right, you do not want to be to aggressive with the disc's, some area's here leave a huge trench on the edge of the ditch from digging to deep and not filling it back in, what great vid, thanks so much for sharing.
Your roads must be open now. Southern NB opened yesterday, and we open on the 7th. Earliest I've ever seen. Still lots of snow in the woods though. I'm not even done my sweeping, and they want to start prep on Monday or Tuesday.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Your roads must be open now. Southern NB opened yesterday, and we open on the 7th. Earliest I've ever seen. Still lots of snow in the woods though. I'm not even done my sweeping, and they want to start prep on Monday or Tuesday.
I can't say for sure if there open, I have been busy grading so I haven't had much shop time to get all the news, lol, there's no snow here, very very dry, this round of rain is welcomed for sure, we did not get what they forecasted though, hard to believe, lol

20/80

Occupation
operator

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
Nice job!! that turned out real good, I see a little windrow on the side of your road, did you say you leave that there for later, now that's a front blade, I like how you have the stinger blades on them, great pics, thanks so much for sharing.
Thanks and yeah I leave a small maintenance window on my roads from the start of blading to the end of September then I lay everything down going in to winter and yes I love having the front blade with stingers on it handy for cutting washboards with I’m also running stingers on my moldboard right now for the spring I will take them off in June then but my carbide edges on.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Thanks and yeah I leave a small maintenance window on my roads from the start of blading to the end of September then I lay everything down going in to winter and yes I love having the front blade with stingers on it handy for cutting washboards with I’m also running stingers on my moldboard right now for the spring I will take them off in June then but my carbide edges on.
I didn't realize you had a channel. I am now subscribed.

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
I didn't realize you had a channel. I am now subscribed.
Yeah i decided to start a channel to hopefully share my knowledge with new and experienced operators I’ve had a lot of good responses from doing it so I’m happy I can help others out thanks for subscribing hopefully you will enjoy the channel.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I washed the Grader today. Found an old nail in a tire. Had been there a long time. Tip finally breached the steel and started a slow leak. Worked for an hour trying to get a plug in the hole. No luck. Had to call the tire shop to come fix it. Assume they'll take it apart and patch it but don't know for sure. Haven't had to have a leak repaired in over 20 years. Have plugged half a dozen in that time. Mostly I find a nail and pull it without any leak. The steel turns them.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Finished my sweeping on Sunday. Started driveway prep Monday. Did a 1000 foot lane for a fella. Not going to pave, just gravel. 12 feet wide, steep climb, and no place for trucks to turn at the top. Long way out of town, so they sent tri axle dump trailers. I'm thinking no way. If they could back up it without spinning out would be one thing, but tail spreading for 12 feet wide.... Not a chance. Old house next door. Gravel yard, flat, no wires. Looks abandoned, so I made the call to dump the trailers there, and reload it on our tandem, with my grader. My guy knows what I want, so I start loading him and sending him up to tail spread. Get 3 trailer loads dumped and spread, and the 2 more loads I needed wouldn't be there before quitting time, so we pack up and leave. Get back in the morning. 2 more loads dumped, half ton truck blocking the driveway to the stock pile. Angry woman walks up the road.... who's in charge? Me.... Who in the square faced f..k gave you permission to dump on my property? After a long rant, it was easy to see that she didn't get along with the fella getting the lane done, and figured he told me to dump. I bit my lip, and said it was my doing, the place looked empty, and I didn't want to risk upsetting the trailers on the hill. At this point, I didn't think we were getting out gravel back. Her face changed to a big smile, and she said, you should have asked. Everyone knows this was my dad's place, and I just live up the road. I told her I didn't mean any harm, and I would not leave it a mess. She said thank you, jumped in her truck and left.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Finished my sweeping on Sunday. Started driveway prep Monday. Did a 1000 foot lane for a fella. Not going to pave, just gravel. 12 feet wide, steep climb, and no place for trucks to turn at the top. Long way out of town, so they sent tri axle dump trailers. I'm thinking no way. If they could back up it without spinning out would be one thing, but tail spreading for 12 feet wide.... Not a chance. Old house next door. Gravel yard, flat, no wires. Looks abandoned, so I made the call to dump the trailers there, and reload it on our tandem, with my grader. My guy knows what I want, so I start loading him and sending him up to tail spread. Get 3 trailer loads dumped and spread, and the 2 more loads I needed wouldn't be there before quitting time, so we pack up and leave. Get back in the morning. 2 more loads dumped, half ton truck blocking the driveway to the stock pile. Angry woman walks up the road.... who's in charge? Me.... Who in the square faced f..k gave you permission to dump on my property? After a long rant, it was easy to see that she didn't get along with the fella getting the lane done, and figured he told me to dump. I bit my lip, and said it was my doing, the place looked empty, and I didn't want to risk upsetting the trailers on the hill. At this point, I didn't think we were getting out gravel back. Her face changed to a big smile, and she said, you should have asked. Everyone knows this was my dad's place, and I just live up the road. I told her I didn't mean any harm, and I would not leave it a mess. She said thank you, jumped in her truck and left.
We had something like that happen to us one time, we stockpiled shouldering close to our jobsite, we had permission from land owner and paid a fee for land rental, after we were done stockpiling 500 tandem loads the owner wanted more money and seized our stockpile and blocked the road, we knew the owner at the time but didn't sign any paper work on the lot rental just on good faith and a handshake, we were a year settling it, you were lucky

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Younger me would have flown off the handle. One of the things I have learned from being put in charge, is that everyone is quick to point you out as the white hat, even though mine is grey. Good news on the road building front. I can no longer be boss over grading, shouldering jobs for DOT. I guess the district engineer didn't like the idea of an operator looking after the job, as they are not readily available for discussions without shutting down production. My feelings are not hurt one bit.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Well I only have a couple more roads to do and I will have a round on my roads, the weather has been real good, very dry though, once my roads are caught up I will be prepping them for dust control, very dusty this spring.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Well I only have a couple more roads to do and I will have a round on my roads, the weather has been real good, very dry though, once my roads are caught up I will be prepping them for dust control, very dusty this spring.
This morning was beautiful, then flurries this afternoon. Gotta love maritime weather. Heat and AC in the same day.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Just wondering, do any of you guy's have to put sign's out when your grading your roads, they have come up with a new policy with our department that they are pushing now, they want a construction ahead signs put up at each end of each road or no further than 2kms apart, we never had to deal with this before, we just used safe grading procedures when doing a road for the last 50 years, this will be a major pain for me, where I can do up to 7-8 smaller jig roads in a day, I have over 60 roads to do, prepping roads for spraying will be a big pain also, wondering if you guys have to deal with signs every day. thanks

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
For a while, DOT graders had racks for signs, stands, and cones. If I go to one of our road jobs on a weekend, and it needs grading, I don't even turn the signs. If they can't work a windrow, and a big yellow machine.... mind you that would never hold up in court.

20/80

Occupation
operator
I am just wondering why the change all of a sudden, we have got along fine for 50 years or more using safe grader procedures and common sense, a grader is not like a half ton to get in and out of, this is going to be a huge pain for me, now that I will be prepping roads for spraying dust control I can do up to 10 smaller roads in a day, I don't know why decisions like this are made without talking with the operators that it will affect, most of these people never sat or operated a grader in their life, if they want us to be more visible put high intensity led strobes on the graders, every other piece of gear we have has them, most people ignore the signs anyway, there's my Rant for today

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
The only time I have to use signs is when I’m doing major reshape work or doing a new gravel project I started pulling shoulders this week I have one township I do pick 4 of our worst miles and I pull shoulders in on them and rebuild the road top then put 3 inches of new gravel on them this year they rented a water truck so made huge difference in finished product I also have a 3 point rotor tiller on our mowing tractor to pulverize and mix material works great here our some pictures.20230524_122846.jpeg20230524_122758.jpegIMG_5820.jpeg