• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stalling Dozer...

nffs06

I am wondering if anyone has heard of or had this problem before. I have a 98' Komatsu D39P with about 4100 hrs with hydostatic steer. It has started stalling when engauged into reverse. Sometimes it will backup for 20 feet before stalling other times 6 inches. It never stalls in any of the forward gears. Any suggestions or help would be great. Thanks.

N.CarolinaDozer

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
No solution to your problem. But I had a problem on a D5G stalling on slopes! Not the best time to stall. I would be back down a slope and it would kick out of gear a start flying down the hill! All I can say is have your foot ready on the brake.

Wulf

nffs06... maybe this seems like a stupid question but just to be clear on something, when you say the machine stalls do you mean the engine quits or the machine just stops driving?

Also is this a torque converter machine with joystick steer that you are describing?

Any other symptoms... are you steering when it happens, what gear are you in?

nffs06

Deas Plant - It has a manual parking brake.

Wulf - When I say "stall" I mean engine quits. Yes it has a joystick control with a torque converter. I can be in any gear in reverse steering or not and it will stall.

I have been told it can be in the joystck control, or a valve in the hydraulic line going into the transmission, or even clutch discs in the transmission. Hoping someone has had or heard of the same problem before I go replacing stuff.

dumptrucker

Sounds to me like it is something electrical. What kind of shut-off does this have? Is it shut off with the throttle control or just turn the key off and machine is off. If it is electrical there could be a wire shorting out , all though it is odd that it does not happen going forward.:beatsme

Lashlander

Without knowing anything about the machine I would check that no part of the transmission linkage is touching the wireing harness. It could be rubbed through in a certain spot.