• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Steel type when choosing moil point

Trevor001

I'm researching jackhammer chisels/bits/points for a school project. Almost every brand has a colorful way to describe the material its product is made out of. I've seen fast steel, hammer steel, a chemical code that just meant "steel", carbon steel, etc. For the purposes of the project, let's assume that I'm breaking up a sidewalk with 60-70 lbs jackhammer with a moil point attached. Does the type of steel actually matter, or are all of these names just marketing? I'm not noticing any significant variations in price based off of the material used. Also, do you know if in the United States there is any certification of quality required for these parts, either from a state agency or from a third party? There doesn't seem to be any such requirement in the EU.

Thank you

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Trevor,

Welcome to the forum. It’s a unwritten party foul to jump in without introducing yourself. Go the the new member section and give us the 411. Tell us what you are studying and you’ll probably get some help. We have some heavy equipment and diesel technology instructors lurking about this place.

AzIron

Loaded question really

Moil is the point type in my experience says nothing for type or quality of material it's made of

To my knowledge there is no specific academy of standard just street credit and yes there will be just like in all things a higher quality point made by one manufacturer than others how to determine that beyond marketing comes down to experience and use

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The types of steel used in the points is for the most part a secret guarded by the manufacturer. It will be some high allow super dense and hard material. There is an outfit in my area that can sharpen those points using heat and beat. I've been told they do not cut with a torch or grind them. I can't say for sure because it is all done behind closed doors.