• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Storing gravel on site

Compression-Ignition

So the other day I had a shipping container delivered to our property that we are building on. I have been thinning out the trees and removing garbage the previous owner left me. There is a lot going on and I just completely spaced that I needed to have a pad prepped with gravel for the container. I had been working on the landing spot, but the gravel was an "Oh shoot! I got no rock." So I went on a marathon run and got 45 yards of 3/4 minus. And it was barely enough to keep things from becoming a soupy mess. It's been raining like crazy here, but it worked out.

Since I did not have the pad cut in yet I had to dump the gravel by the front gate in a little grass clearing. I knew I was going to basically lose half or a 1/3 of the rock. I got to thinking about it and thought maybe I should just stock pile it there. I'd rather get it as I need it and then use the dump trailer to place it very close to it's final home., but it doesn't seem like that is going to work out for me very often.

I have a plan to use 2x2x6' Concrete Eco-blocks to make a little gravel corral. I'm thinking I'd get maybe 10 of them to use for a back stop. I fully admit if I don't have a giant hill to push into I make getting a scoop out of a small pile look like a monkey doing you know what to a football. So I really need something to push against.

Main question is there a better way to do this? My local sources are at $95 and then $120 for 2x2x6' blocks. I will have other uses for these when I am "done" with the gravel.