• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Superscreed on bridge approaches

RoadDoc

This is our rig set at 45 feet to pour 30 foot bridge approaches. The extra length is necessary to handle the skew. This machine is great for road patching as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1454.jpg
    IMG_1454.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 2,047
  • IMG_1455.jpg
    IMG_1455.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 2,114
  • IMG_1461.jpg
    IMG_1461.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 2,034

RoadDoc

It is a Whiteman/Multiquip Superscreed. It has a little 3 cylinder Doosan diesel engine that runs a hydraulic pump. Everything runs on hydraulics. One man operates it from the seat you see in picture number three. We usually have it at 14 feet for 12 foot road slabs. We stretched it out for this job because we had about 60 approach slabs to replace for the prime contractor. I have heard the max extension is around 60 feet. Does a great job. Takes a lot of attention to detail when cleaning it up at the end of the pour. Lots of nooks and crannies.

:cool:

Lugghead

Here's some pics of the Bidwell 4800 that I've been running for the past week.

Attachments

• Sep03_0003.jpg
    Sep03_0003.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 2,329
  • Aug31_0001.jpg
    Aug31_0001.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 1,713
  • Aug31_0002.jpg
    Aug31_0002.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,676
  • Sep01_0003.jpg
    Sep01_0003.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,697
  • Sep03_0002.jpg
    Sep03_0002.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 1,612

Truckin4life

Occupation
Concrete Plant Operator.
How many yards an hour can that bidwell handle?
I am about to start bridge decks, its a first for this company i have done thosands of yards of paving mud, but no bridge decks to date, should i expect about the same pace as a slipform paver?

RoadDoc

A few thoughts on bridge deck paving....

We used to run a similar machine (Gomaco C-450) on bridge deck overlays. We would pour about 4 inches thick by 12 to 15 feet wide. When things were going decent we could pump out one eight yard load in 10 minutes. I would think when pouring a full depth section of deck, the production rate would increase. The DOT expected a pour rate of 30 cy per hour on most of our pours. This was based on their formulas for bridge deck pours to insure that the beams were loaded properly and that the deck would not crack during curing. You can imagine how much faster you would move through a load of concrete if you are pouring 10" thick by the width of an entire deck (say 36 feet ).

The real key to a fast pour is how good the guys on the mud rakes are. If they can't keep it spread out ahead of the screed and reasonably close to grade, the operator will have to slow down to accomodate them. I've also seen screeds ride up on stiff mud to the point of coming of the rails. :eek:

The value of a good operator on one of these is demonstrated during the set up phase of the job more so than during the pour. The devil is in the details with these critters. The rail has to be dead on, the legs have to be set just right, and the screed has to give perfect steel cover while not leaving scuffs in the finish when it traverses. If you can make a good dry run, then you are way ahead of the game for the pour. :D

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to watch for during the pour. You have to keep the machine straight as it advances, hit your marks when you advance the machine so the finish doesn't get messed up, and make sure all of your finishers go home with all of their fingers and toes still attached (which is easier said than done). Not to mention, being able to perform mechanical miracles when the beast breaks down in the middle of the pour. :bash It always happens on Sunday morning about 2:30 AM with 80 cy of concrete batched and on its way to your $250/hour concrete pump with an operator who is pooping kittens anyway because you are running a really hot mix.... :Banghead Then you look over at the superintendent.....:pointhead
You ask, "Where did you guys put the extra master links?" The response you get is...:beatsme:beatsme:confused: "What is a master link?'

:ban

Ah....memories.........

Last edited: