• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The JLG 40F Boom Lift Dilemma

Rick39

Those are Bertea valves. The JLG P/N for the pilot section is 7001307.
Unfortunately NLA from JLG for the past 10 years.
What is going on with them? Do you have enough pilot flow?
Also Bertea valves do not function with cold oil unless the oil is thinned.
If you are stuck maybe Hindley still has someone that knows how to repair them.

Dustin Hamrick

Hello! I have been reading thru this thread for a few days now. Recently my brother and I purchased a 40F that has been sitting for 20+ years. We have repaired the tires and got it hauled home. Now we are beginning to work on getting it running again. It has RACINE valves and the majority of the wiring looks like a birds nest......any way OFF can work with me to get some schematics sent to me?

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Hello! I have been reading thru this thread for a few days now. Recently my brother and I purchased a 40F that has been sitting for 20+ years. We have repaired the tires and got it hauled home. Now we are beginning to work on getting it running again. It has RACINE valves and the majority of the wiring looks like a birds nest......any way OFF can work with me to get some schematics sent to me?

Welcome! I'm still around, all I need is an email address to send you documents.

DanD441972

Schematic is help full, but not necessary! 40F is straight forward toggle switches switching power to solenoid valves. Once you dive into it it’s pretty easy. I have a completely gone through, fully functional JLG 40F that I would sell to anyone interested. Contact me for details if interested! Thanks Dan

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Schematic is help full, but not necessary! 40F is straight forward toggle switches switching power to solenoid valves. Once you dive into it it’s pretty easy. I have a completely gone through, fully functional JLG 40F that I would sell to anyone interested. Contact me for details if interested! Thanks Dan

What you describe is the version with all solenoid valves and Cutler/Hammer controllers. By far the simplest and most trouble free 40F they made. A good machine for someone.

I really enjoyed working on them all.
It wasn't like today. Now when you walk up to a Z45 or Z60, you know it's an exact copy of every other Z45/Z60 you've ever worked on. The 40F came with at least 5 different controller makes and layouts, and 4 or 5 different control valve setups. 3 different engines. You didn't know what you were facing till you opened the covers.

Hawkaluggi

Occupation
Mechaniclly inclind no actual JOB
Hi everyone, new to the forum and to these machines, I asked the shop owner at the end of my road if i could help him clean up the outside. He had a lot of metal and machines he gave me these two. idk the years but ones a jlg 40f thats how i found yall. the other i think is a WHITE my80b. i think if anyone has better info please let me know. Thanks in advancedJlg 40F.jpeg

Hawkaluggi

Occupation
On my 40f. First looks I had to clean the inside of the starter. And got her to turn over. Im losing volts on the coil when starting (12v to 9v). Alternator doesn’t seem to be working, I’ve found wire rusted off. Idk what the small wire does that comes off and goes to the coil. But I’m not getting spark at all. I love the old stuff because it’s simple and build different but looking at prices of the alternator I might as well sell parts to buy parts. Dang. Anyone know of a cheap alternative for an alternator that does the same thing? I would like to do a 110 plug at the basket just in case we need it.

Hawkaluggi

Occupation
Can someone please send me the manuals, diagrams, and anything else helpful on the 40f I messaged OFF and Wille a few days ago.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Can someone please send me the manuals, diagrams, and anything else helpful on the 40f I messaged OFF and Wille a few days ago.

I got you. Normally the system sends out notifications when someone needs something. It didn't this time. Good thing I checked.

dn29626

40F....One of the (very old and decayed) hoses for the bucket busted...so I need new hoses. What are the specs that need to be met? The information I need to provide...whether ordered online or having them made locally? I prefer to have the hoses before I finish disassembling.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
40F....One of the (very old and decayed) hoses for the bucket busted...so I need new hoses. What are the specs that need to be met? The information I need to provide...whether ordered online or having them made locally? I prefer to have the hoses before I finish disassembling.
which hoses are you changing out? All the hose in the boom? I can help with specs.

dn29626

Hi OFF.
I think there are only two hoses going to basket (sorry, I said bucket earlier). These only control the tilt of the basket.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
ok, there are 4 hoses in most 40F booms. That is - machines with basket rotate. Not all machines have basket rotate. I'm thinking it's the basket level hoses you want, not the basket rotate.

Basket level hoses are both #6 (3/8), two wire braid, with #6 (3/8)male NPT ends. One hose is 468 inches long, the other is 456 inches long.

Basket rotate hoses are #4 (1/4") two wire braid, with #4 (1/4") male NTP ends. Both are 550" long.

Attachments

• JLG basket level BOM.jpg
    JLG basket level BOM.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 9

dn29626

Basket level are the hoses i need. My basket does not rotate (wish it did). Surprised they are NPT.
The hydraulics must be lower pressure than I think.
*Basket level hoses are both #6 (3/8), two wire braid, with #6 (3/8)male NPT ends. One hose is 468 inches long, the other is 456 inches long.*
Thank you for the information.