• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The JLG 40F Boom Lift Dilemma

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Male NPT is quite common in older hydraulics. Double braid hoses are rated for 5000 (3/8) to 6000 (1/4) PSI so the fittings have to stand that much. JIC came later.
Check your hose couplings/ends to make sure. Those hoses could have been replaced with something else by now. We're talking 42+ years since it was built.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
OFF , thank you so much for your support.

you're very welcome. Always glad to put my useless/outdated knowledge to work.

Here's a picture of hydraulic connectors. Bottom one is the hose end, top is the connector it attaches to on your machine.

Attachments

• NPT fitting.jpg
    NPT fitting.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 4

Dichotmist

Hi All! I just bought a JLG40F. But it has some issues I’m hoping you might be able to help with. Starts great. Everything moves properly from the rear control panel but as soon as I switch to the basket control it stalls. Wiring in the basket doesn’t look great with a few broken wires and a few broken in the engine compartment. I saw someone had wiring diagrams. Any chance I can get a copy of those? Also can anyone send me a pic of the labels for all the basket controls? You guys rock! Thanks!

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Welcome Dichotmist. Your manuals are on the way. What I suggest is first switching to basket control, and then checking the basket for power. Start at the ignition switch. at least 12 volts in, and with the switch on, you should see close to 12 volts out. Toggle switches are a common trouble spot because they are so exposed to the elements.

sloate

Hello all, I have a JLG 50FD that I have been fighting a few issues . I am looking for wiring diagrams and any other info anyone may have on this machine. My main issue is the house does not turn right now. I tracked it down to the pilot valve Bertea p/n 234912-348. Look like the outer coil ring broke. Any one know where to source these. Looks now to be a Parker part number 234912-23A . Looks to be expensive from what I have found. Any help would be great, Thanks!

sloate

I have looked before but just did again and I did find one on there that was priced more reasonable. I not trying to put a lot of money into this old unit. Thanks for the info!

Does any one have a wiring diagram for this 50FD? If not one for a 40F should help, I'm sure they are wired similarly.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
40F With Bertea valves

Attachments

• JLG 40F Bertea basket.PDF
    101.9 KB · Views: 4
  • JLG 40F Bertea ground.PDF
    91.4 KB · Views: 2
  • JLG 40F Bertea main.PDF
    114.9 KB · Views: 3

sloate

I got the valve installed and all back working now! Does any one have a idea of the weight of this 50fd? I am guessing 15-18K...

mm73

Hello all,

I recently bought a 1980 30f. Pretty good condition, runs great. The ground controls work well, but I had intermittent basket control, and low basket power. Replaced the foot switch (full of water and corrosion), now I lost all basket control, except for starting the engine. I can't find wiring diagrams without spending $$. Can anyone help?

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Hello all,

I recently bought a 1980 30f. Pretty good condition, runs great. The ground controls work well, but I had intermittent basket control, and low basket power. Replaced the foot switch (full of water and corrosion), now I lost all basket control, except for starting the engine. I can't find wiring diagrams without spending $$. Can anyone help?

There are two micro switches inside the foot pedal. One is for the start circuit, the other one turns on the hydraulic power to everything. On ground control, the hydraulics are live all the time. But on basket, the controls only work when your foot is on the foot switch.

My guess would be that the micro switch controlling your controls/hydraulics is out of adjustment or just plain bad.

Attachments

• JLG 40F Racine basket.PDF
    248.3 KB · Views: 5

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
the cord (wiring) running from the basket to the foot switch would also give trouble.

mm73

The micro switch is new, but I did find corrosion between the the cord and the petal. Replaced the cord, and all is well. Thank you.

maple2

I have a 40F Thats been sitting for a year. I parked it when I blew a hose going to the tilt basket. Just changed that hose. The old girl fired right up. Everything is working good Except the steering now! Had no problems with steering before it was parked. When you turn the switch for the wheels to move left or right, you will hear the motor start to bog down a little like normal. (I believe that tells me the pump is being activated) I took the hoses off at the steering cylinder and only would get a trickle of fluid through it, when I activated the switch. Anybody have any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks for any help!

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
well, the first thing I would do is determine whether or not the steer valve is receiving power from the steering toggle switch.
If it is, the fact that the pump is tying, and neither direction works, makes me wonder if maybe that valve has a bad ground wire. Rain/wet is the enemy.

A good way to check is put your test lead onto the same valve terminal as the ground wire and get a friend to activate the steer. If you suddenly show power at the ground terminal, your ground wire is not functioning.

I take it the other functions on that same valve bank are still working. If nothing works on that valve bank, we need to go down another road.