• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The Ultimate Loader??

HardRockNM

Occupation
Miner
I'll have to put in a vote for a low-hour CAT 980G with a tilting cab and LED headlights with good throw for night and underground work. They're awful fast for their size and have way more power than the Hs. I will never buy a loader without mechanical gauges; the side displays that CAT and Deere both love now are totally illogical from a workflow perspective.

skyking1

This is far from what a normal person would call "The Ultimate Loader" but after 40+ years working on this stuff I'm far from normal!:eek:

If I had use for one around the yard I'd take a 966C 76J series and a blank check to the parts department at the local Cat dealer.I'd have fun taking it down to the bare frame and rebuilding each component one at a time. When done with that job find me a 980 42H series. Something about that 4 over head cam V-8 with all those rattling timing gears at idle just hit me right along with the four maxi-brake cans on the front axle.
I have fond memories of a 966C that I ran for a while at the damn job. It was tight, had great tires and a full compliment of buckets and forks and crane boom. It even had instructions and controls for a snow blower that was no longer with it. I often thought, like you, that it would have been the ultimate yard machine.

HardRockNM

Occupation
Miner
I know i could park my 910 Cat in the bucket of that 994 ,but its my ultimate loader.

I've actually taken a 242D skid-steer into the bucket of a 990G to clean it out when shifting from muddy waste material to production rock!

Thomas C Loiselle

Occupation
Field Service Technician
While my overall preference is the G or H model Cats. Something like a 980 thru 988 depending on what work load you need it for. We have a 980K here which isn't too bad. Has finger controls for implement and joystick for drive. Really liking it. Definitely has more electronics to deal with, but nice to run.

Jimothy

Occupation
Digger
Saw one online, brand new at .8 tons no ROPS, fully electric no name and lime green for under 10k that’s my ride yo… that’s my ride

orangeman

Drag1Line: Thanks for posting the video on the Old Bucyrus - Erie 60-S shovel. Some real nice engineering went into that. If memory serves Bucyrus used a Caterpillar undercarriage on those. ~ Orangeman