• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The upcoming generation

mekanik

I worked with a couple aircraft mechanics over the years. They told me there is a lot of paperwork in the aircraft maintenance business. I hope she likes paperwork.
If someone comes to the shop I work at and wants a half donkey job done we show them the way to the door and tell them to not bother coming back.

Old Doug

Don't see welding rigs like that around here. Seems like it could be a bit of a pain. Look fancy but not the most practical. Those you have to reach down into the compartments to get your tools. Most of the welding rigs here have have vertical cabinets with shelves and tool boxes in them and a work space on the back with a vice and/or a pipe spinner. Hard to find pics. of some of the really fancy decks but here's a few options.

Attachments

• IMG_20240512_093640.jpg
    IMG_20240512_093640.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 37

colson04

Dollars to donuts says she winds up in an aviation shop somewhere, who would want to work on greasy nasty trucks pushing you to slap on a bandaid, when you can do clean airplanes instead and are told to always do it right?
My wife's cousins both went that route (siblings, brother and sister). He became a Heavy Truck Mechanic, she went to school and became a certified Welder. Both worked in their trades for 4 or 5 years, and then she found a local custom plane builder was hiring. She interviewed, got the job, liked it so much she bragged on it so her brother applied. Both are quite happy with the pay, the work environment, and work schedule.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I worked with a guy who did the opposite. Aviation to Heavy Duty. He said the pay in aviation sucks if you're doing maintenance for one of the larger airlines. The money was in the private fleets with the smaller planes.

IceHole

Speaking of Matt Boyed, I met a fella this week from Louisiana that did a turn-around with Matt, when he was just getting started with animation. Small world in the oil biz.

It’s been a great week hanging out with the Texas pipeliners and refinery hands I had the opportunity to work with in DFW. But, I got to get my a$$ back to Alaska and the safety of the trailer park. Big and scary down here and way too much concrete.

How bout’ that BBQ? Knowwhatimsayin? :).
That cartoon still going, haven't seen them in years.
Speaking of Matt Boyed, I met a fella this week from Louisiana that did a turn-around with Matt, when he was just getting started with animation. Small world in the oil biz.

It’s been a great week hanging out with the Texas pipeliners and refinery hands I had the opportunity to work with in DFW. But, I got to get my a$$ back to Alaska and the safety of the trailer park. Big and scary down here and way too much concrete.

How bout’ that BBQ? Knowwhatimsayin? :).
I spent a few months around Houston and Gavelston. I thought Anchorage drivers were **** till dealing with those drivers.

We had a rental van, I elected to just ride, wasn't ready for doing 90 in a 65 on a 74 lane highway.
Dirt barely 2 lanes roads are my liking.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I noticed that folks were commonly running 85-90 in a 65 and no traffic enforcement. Not necessarily complaining, but I’m certainly not accustomed to casually driving like that on a commute in a strange city.

Old Doug

The highway close to the farm they run 70 + i dont like it and my old trucks are not set up to run that fast. Luckily there is a good scrap yard that i can get to without ever being on the no speed limits highway. I guess there is a shortage of highway patrols?