• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

There is Hope....

TheKid

Occupation
Crane Operator
I just landed a sweet job yesturday over the phone in San Diego, CA. Apparently the telecommunications industry just got a boost and looking for people. I had a resume on Monster.com as an operator and have been getting alot of calls but for out of state stuff. Well im married and with younger kids so thats kinda hard to do. But, at 6am yesturday morning I recieved a call from a lady in Atlanta, GA regarding my resume for a job only 2hrs from me here in CA. Get this, because they are huge and looking for people for a "right now" job I actually had some leverage on all my prehire stuff. Effective apr.1 I will have all my benefits package, including medical and everything retroactive. Instead of me working right now on a floating pay scale(which sucks) I will be paid a flat hourly rate which is $2 more per hour then my highest payrate now, plus because im more then 30minutes away from the job so I get per diem which you all know is tax free at $90 a day paid upfront, (which is rare). AND, because they are looking for a TEAM I got my old oiler kid that has been my 2nd man/helper for years to leave his company (thats going under) hired as my driver, helper, and personal gopher. They just approved both of us this morning as of 5am Cali time. I see the light at the end of the tunnel. And to think I was going to start sending my wife to the truck stop and the kids around selling gum and candy. (haha not really). Im shocked that I have any leverage to negotiate like that. about 5yrs ago yeah no problem but with the economy the way it is today, I was blown away... oh and did i mention that the job is drive around and load/offload equipment for the cell tower buildings and jobsite for the technicians and thats it. Oh and that its on a 17t Terex boom truck only, no big crane but just a little stinger crane that appearently has to have its own driver? What is that about? My helper and I will laugh all the way to the bank with that one. they say its because they dont want only 1 guy running around downtown city area without help. So i get my buddy a job as my personal driver at great payrate and the same deal as me when it comes to the benny's. Dont understand it, but will have it all in writing from the company today, and im not going to ask any questions eather. still shocking...

Last edited by a moderator:

td25c

That's great news TheKid!There in money in communications.Hope all go's well and best wishes from the midwest.

surfer-joe

17t is probably w/air brakes, thus will need a CDL class "B," but it may still have Fluid brakes too, depending on the Chassis. Good deal no matter what.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Hah.........Monster what?Lemme go find that place!!!
I wonder if they will hire old men too??
I would love to go back to work but unless the economy turns around my working days are probably over.
Best of luck to you..........I am not a stranger to miracles but I am probably where I am supposed to be right now,without a doubt.Keep us posted.Ron G

TheKid

Occupation
Crane Operator
Well I guess im covered then. I have a Class "A" w/ hazmat CDL and all the other goodies. But i guess i still have to have a driver/helper. I giggle because its such a small crane and I have normally been a one man band with that type of crane. I wonder if they can hire someone to tie my shoes too. I hate bending over. Its honestly funny to me being so young and not knowing the "old school" ways, but everyone always asks me if i can get my licence to drive too. How did the operators drive to the jobs before? walked? I dont get it. how can i do my crane operator job if i cant drive the thing? even my current boss asked me the same thing. Maybe i should keep my mouth shut and have no licence and have everyone drive me around.... must be a union thing.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
My class "A" became a liability nearing the end of my career,I found myself moving equipment more than running it and eight hour days were rare.
I don't mind running equipment for a long shift,as a matter of fact it is pretty much a way of life in my world but detaching and reattaching a lowbed and throwing chains and binders around just takes too much out of me so I don't talk too much about my class "A" when looking for a job.;)Best of luck to you.Ron G

Wolf

I just landed a sweet job yesturday over the phone in San Diego, CA. Apparently the telecommunications industry just got a boost and looking for people. I had a resume on Monster.com as an operator and have been getting alot of calls but for out of state stuff. Well im married and with younger kids so thats kinda hard to do. But, at 6am yesturday morning I recieved a call from a lady in Atlanta, GA regarding my resume for a job only 2hrs from me here in CA. Get this, because they are huge and looking for people for a "right now" job I actually had some leverage on all my prehire stuff. Effective apr.1 I will have all my benefits package, including medical and everything retroactive. Instead of me working right now on a floating pay scale(which sucks) I will be paid a flat hourly rate which is $2 more per hour then my highest payrate now, plus because im more then 30minutes away from the job so I get per diem which you all know is tax free at $90 a day paid upfront, (which is rare). AND, because they are looking for a TEAM I got my old oiler kid that has been my 2nd man/helper for years to leave his company (thats going under) hired as my driver, helper, and personal gopher. They just approved both of us this morning as of 5am Cali time. I see the light at the end of the tunnel. And to think I was going to start sending my wife to the truck stop and the kids around selling gum and candy. (haha not really). Im shocked that I have any leverage to negotiate like that. about 5yrs ago yeah no problem but with the economy the way it is today, I was blown away... oh and did i mention that the job is drive around and load/offload equipment for the cell tower buildings and jobsite for the technicians and thats it. Oh and that its on a 17t Terex boom truck only, no big crane but just a little stinger crane that appearently has to have its own driver? What is that about? My helper and I will laugh all the way to the bank with that one. they say its because they dont want only 1 guy running around downtown city area without help. So i get my buddy a job as my personal driver at great payrate and the same deal as me when it comes to the benny's. Dont understand it, but will have it all in writing from the company today, and im not going to ask any questions eather. still shocking...

Congratulations. That is awesome. Almost sounds too good to be true. You should tell them to give you an employment contract of one year or more, that way if you get laid off, they have to pay the full year's contract amount. Better than "at will" employment, in which case they can dump you any time they want with no severance assured.

Good luck.

Lugghead

.... must be a union thing.

That's untrue and misleading. I know more union operators that HAVE a CDL A than ones that DON'T. In fact, when I was in Local 12 (SoCal and Southern Nevada), we actually COULD drive our equipment, legally. There is this other union, the Teamsters, who's job it is to drive trucks. There's JURISDICTIONAL considerations to consider. Depends on the area and the local contract.

It tends to aggravate me when people make blanket statements about a group of people and ass u me that they are ABSOLUTELY true. I try to judge people by their actions, not by their affiliations.

P.S. I've had my CDL LONGER than I've been operating equipment.

Just my .02

Last edited:

TheKid

Occupation
Crane Operator
well i guess i start this monday down there. So hopefully everything works out great. 2hr drive oneway. I will eventually go to union im sure once things pick up some. Right now is not a good time with everyone sitting. Local 12 is where i will go. A few friends work for Bragg crane in Fontana and Long Beach, so i sorta have an "in". I have already talked with local 12 people and was going to sign up but realized i cant work private crane jobs and be in the union at the same time. So i will wait a few i guess. I dont want to step on anyones toes you know.