• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

this came in my yard to-day

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
DSCF0055.jpg

DSCF0057.jpg

DSCF0063.jpg

A good friend arrived to move a container for me this morning ,she is an eighty ton krrupp,and he has owned her for four years .Mick retired home in '99 after a career globe hopping driving everything from a 5 tonner to tower cranes in Honk kong .He worked for Van summeran (??)and has worked on each of the five continents,A down right gentleman with many a sceal to stand the hairs on a mans neck,or give him a pain in the side from laughing.

Stock

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
very smart.
how is life treating you in ireland?
my people are from there and i must visit before too long.

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Yes thats an old KMK 4080 (?).. Ive run them ..nice machines ..you can trust them ...the computer is just enough to let you know whats up but not get in the way if starts to go strange

you can always get home safe with those girls ....

td25c

Those Krupp crane's look tough.I think the all-terrain grove crane's are of krupp design.They get around good in off road and tight quarters,with the all wheel stering.

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Those Krupp crane's look tough.I think the all-terrain grove crane's are of krupp design.They get around good in off road and tight quarters,with the all wheel stering.

you would be right ..Grove bought out Krupp's crane division back in the early 90's

td25c

They halve an interesting boom design on the newer models.The way I understand ,Each boom section get's pinned after it's extended.When the boom is at the desired length The extintion cylinder is retracted to the bottom section ,thus reducing boom weight.Is this true?

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Krupp kinda started doing it first ..as time went on it got better

Yes ..in alot of the newer hydraulic cranes ..the Cylinder locks into a section and pushes it ou ..then its pinned ..the cylinder lets go then retracts to get the next section ..

now that said heres your computer options built into the menu..

Manual where you do all the pinning and unpinning and scoping of the cylinder via a computer interface,

Semi-automatic ..where you move the cylinder and the machines pins it up and you retract the cylinder ..theres a few more details ..nothing major.

Full automatic ..you plug in the code for the desired boom lenght or chart and she goes there ... just hold the throttle and lever over and watch the screen ..she'll do her thing and park when she's done ..

theres a pile more stuff to make you feel at home ...This can quickly become another thread

td25c

Krupp kinda started doing it first ..as time went on it got better

Yes ..in alot of the newer hydraulic cranes ..the Cylinder locks into a section and pushes it ou ..then its pinned ..the cylinder lets go then retracts to get the next section ..

now that said heres your computer options built into the menu..

Manual where you do all the pinning and unpinning and scoping of the cylinder via a computer interface,

Semi-automatic ..where you move the cylinder and the machines pins it up and you retract the cylinder ..theres a few more details ..nothing major.

Full automatic ..you plug in the code for the desired boom lenght or chart and she goes there ... just hold the throttle and lever over and watch the screen ..she'll do her thing and park when she's done ..

theres a pile more stuff to make you feel at home ...This can quickly become another thread

I halve a friend that has one, I think it's a 2002 model and thats the way he descrbed it.I forgot to mention the computer.Truly amazing how far they halve come.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Spoke to Mick this morning ,who was real chuffed at the interest shown by you all .He asks if anyone would have access to a maintenance manual for the above crane which he said is a 4070(modified to a 4080) 8109 built between Sept 94 and Jan 1995.He has the books for her but alas they are all in german, a language neither he or I have no command of , so any help would be appreciated

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
AHHHHH ....your 8 mths to late .. i could have copied one ...the machine was sold.
i think the difference between the 4070 and the 4080 was a couple inserts of counter weight placed in the counter weight slabs that mount to the upper .. and a pair of kidney stones that sit on top of the top slab ..other than that they are pretty much the same ..

but ..there is a place in Texas that scraps and recyles crane's ,,and refurbishes parts to be sold ..including that Krupp ..just dont know the name of it..

But in the mean time take very good care of the mega-track .. the bands that the cylinder's rotate on ..you cant buy bearings for them any more just the whole assembly ,,very pricey ..and the two crows legs that pivot up and down with the same cylinder's ..keep a oil can with transmission fluid handy they are getting very expensive as well ..keep them lubed ..

Get ahold of Mercedes and get a hand full of fuel injector O-rings ..we had a bunch go out ,it will ruin the head if its not looked after quickly.

the 24v webasto heater in the upper will run forever if you keep Kerosene in it ..but when it cack's put an Espar in much cheaper to maintain ..should it have a hunter right now ..you cant buy parts ..

If theres anything in particular you wanna know i may be able to help ..untill you get the book's ..

Its funny really ...the place i worked ..they hired a German Mechanic ...:D

Last edited: