• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

The Peej

Then there is the guy with no skill and admits it.
Years ago the shop I was working in was looking to hire, 6 came in to ask/interview.
5 of them were busy taking up there skills--which caused some skepticism. The 6th
I'll call him Casey--that was his name, was majoring in chemistry at CWU. He was
up front---{About all I know is how to gap a spark plug and change it}---{Honesty}
That is the #1 requirement with me for hiring----A person can have the greatest
A personality and is not truthful, truthfulness is everything in my book. Being able
to have trust in a employee is golden, the rest comes along. I told Casey to show
Monday morning.
Casey's math ability & reading retention was tops. Yes he didn't know squat about
much mechanical, he was taking a year off from school because of money. He was
putting himself through college. Casey was without a frigging doubt the best new
hire decision I ever made in my entire life. He didn't know crap--but he said so
upfront---that says allot.
I couldn't agree more!!!!! I tell my guys "if you don't know something that's fine I'll teach you But don't tell me you know something and then screw it up." There's nothing worse than coming behind someone that had no clue and trying to straighten out what they did and find the original problem.

Last edited:

Vetech63

I texted the lube truck driver yesterday afternoon and asked if the shop had been cleaned up yet. He sent this to me.....
same.jpeg
He said NO and it might be a little worse. :rolleyes::mad: I told him to clean this up Monday morning right after the loader left the building. Still nothing. The lube truck driver said several employees had complained to him about the grease outside everywhere...........it is getting driven through, and it is transferring to their truck floorboards via their boots. I told him they need to complain to LMM and Alan.

To those of you wondering how the grease explosion happened..............it doesn't matter how it happened. What matters is what happened afterward. I have knocked over numerous buckets of fluid, had hydraulic hoses spray, grease gun failures, in my career. It was never left like this for someone else to clean up. When it happened to me, I cleaned up my mess to the point where you couldn't tell it even happened. This is just sloppiness, plain and simple.

He works like this also. Last week I helped remove the right boom cylinder rod for a rod pull reseal. I already knew this guy didn't know much........but the fact that he started to put the boom stop on the cylinder that we were getting ready to tear down just confirmed it. I didn't trust him to install the seals correctly, so I did that myself. I prepped the cylinder for reinstall..............he grabbed the cylinder rod with his filthy hands, one being between the gland and the rod, .........which I could see grit residue on it, then he pushed the rod all the way into the barrel to the gland and started tightening it. I said "That rod needs to be clean when you go in with it. That greasy grit will get into the hydraulic system and cause other problems, much less score the seals I just put in it."

There is no telling what he has been doing in the field. I believe Alan, since he has no clue about service or repair, thinks this is normal. OMG..........things will be a mess soon. I'll get to start all over again..........If I feel like it.

oarwhat

The worst guys out there are the ones that already know everything.

You can't teach somebody that already knows it all.
This so true. We plowed a huge mall. 42 acres of parking lot. We used 4x4 dumps with wings and 4 to 8 yard payloaders with 18" push boxes. The most experienced operators were a pain in my butt. We had a system and they always had a better way or just did what even they wanted.
One of the best drivers I had was my neighbor that had never driven a dump truck. He only knew what we taught him.

cfherrman

I have a big bias against large/obese people, always lazy and never want to do the job correctly.

Alan just doesn't care, I'm sure you seen your work enough to know that it can be clean.

I hate to see this guy as a loop tech even how much is getting in the grease fittings and compared to out of the grease fittings

TCat

If we were to give LMM the benefit of the doubt, he could be leaving the Absorb-All on the floor in advance of his next spill so that it's ready to go for the next job. And those buckets and cribbing are heavy and will surely be needed again some day near the next spill. Planning ahead I say. lol

L- Left
M-More
M-Messes