• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

AzIron

As a buissness owner who has had cash crunches more than once and gone without a paycheck myself for about 4 months I dont care what it would take my guys will be payed for hours worked no matter what I had to do its absolutely bull to not pay an employee no matter what circumstances there is they never signed on for risk

Furthermore not paying employees what they are due says a lot about your character as an owner

terex herder

I worked for a company once that ran out of money. The owner mortgaged his house again and maxed out his credit cards. We were called into the office one by one and handed an envelop with our paycheck. We endorsed the check and were paid in cash for the amount of the check. We were paid weekly, and this went on for about 6 weeks.

Truck Shop

As a buissness owner who has had cash crunches more than once and gone without a paycheck myself for about 4 months I dont care what it would take my guys will be payed for hours worked no matter what I had to do its absolutely bull to not pay an employee no matter what circumstances there is they never signed on for risk

Furthermore not paying employees what they are due says a lot about your character as an owner
I can add to that-When I was leased-the book keeper screwed up my settlement check.
When the owner of the brokerage got back from a trip I told him about it. He unsnapped
his shirt pocket and handed me 5 grand, {when you get back this Friday the rest will be
here}. Art liked to roll dice, he always carried 5.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Did some work for a local dairy farmer....dug the blue clay out of the freestalls so sand could be put in, wasn't fun. Bobcat & backhoe attachment.
Was warned I wouldn't get paid.
Finished up and ol Tub asked if I could "wait for the milk check"....uh, yup.
2 weeks later, I got paid in full.
There was a reason I played along, he had a truck I wanted. Told him, call me when your done with it.....he did and I hauled it home....lol

Ed

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
A customer came to p/u his tractor from my place yesterday.. but told me he only had 1/2 the money.. I asked him which 1/2 of the tractor he wanted to take with him.??
He looked at me like I was crazy.. he honestly thought he was going to take the machine and “get back with me “.,
I sent him packing with an empty trailer..
He did come back with the other 1/2 in a couple of hours..
Damn kids, ya can’t trust’m.. lol

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Only ever had one 'Play Me', said was tight on cash but needed his truck to finish a job and would pay the remainder(Around 2/3 paid 1/3not), thought he was Under the Petty Theft amount and defaulted the remainder. Set a Mechanic Lien on the machine and waited, he sold it for scrap when engine went south, bank sent ME the proceeds against the lien. He had a bogus attorney file suit against my recovery, went to court where he produced the bill paid the 2/3, said was agreed upon, then my attorney presented his Signed agreement to pay the last that never arrived, his attorney noted the engine failed and tried to pin on MY negligence where dates related did not hold up(8 Mos between). I was allowed to retain the scrap money but cost me near as much in court fees. Did NOT ever release a machine before paid after that.

Welder Dave

I had a guy who I thought was a friend stiff me for $300 when he bought my RD350LC. He later fell on it and had to replace some parts. I didn't feel sorry for him. I should have put a lien on it so it couldn't be registered until the lien was paid. I had a promissory note from him acknowledging he owed $300. Never again! I even threw in a helmet and some nice leather gloves. He probably thinks he's brilliant for pulling a fast one on me. No he's just an a-hole.

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
My previous employment was as a lift engineer ( passenger elevator ) the company got stiffed by a few companies all in the space of a few months.
The day my daughter was born, we walked back into the house babe in arms to a letter on the floor, cheque returned from bank no money. I made one phone call to the boss ( didn't go mad just asked what was up and what needs to be done), he came round 20min later with cash to cover the wages a huge apology the complete story about what had happened and what was needed, There was so much " deadwood" employed in the company that he couldn't just fire, so decided now was the best time to let the company fall, out of thirty employees he started a new company with 4 of us who were "his right hand men" and we had our choice of fitters mates.
I received a healthy redundancy package on the Friday, and on Monday morning was employed with the new company, we then spent a month gaining entry legally to the buildings where companies hadn't paid and removed the circuit boards from the elevator control panels until paid in full there and then. It was quite interesting being a debt collector and standing there holding the piece of equipment they need while people ran about trying to find money to pay the bill.

cfherrman

Nice that's awesome.

My friend had a drive shaft go out, 1760 style, it's rarer and about twice as much as a 1710 and I had a few laying around. He looked through them and grabbed one and tossed it on his truck. He asked how much and I said 50% retail up to $200. Retail is probably over $1000 so just give me $200. Still waiting on that $200.

TCat

Nice that's awesome.

My friend had a drive shaft go out, 1760 style, it's rarer and about twice as much as a 1710 and I had a few laying around. He looked through them and grabbed one and tossed it on his truck. He asked how much and I said 50% retail up to $200. Retail is probably over $1000 so just give me $200. Still waiting on that $200.
I would not call that man a friend.

Welder Dave

It will be interesting when he tries to drive off and nothing happens... because you did like the elevator guys and took the parts (driveshaft) off that weren't paid for. Yeah, he's not a friend. Just an a-hole like the guy I knew.

Roadoil

I'll add you can't even count on certified dealer service to fix your equipment.

I know for a fact the Elgin distributor here in Vegas people have dropped off sweepers to repair and months later $10,000 still not working correct. The tech here is not even factory trained he learns working on equipment.

Had the same issue Allison dealer here trying to get a PTO working it quit one day they wanted to build a whole new wire harness $2000.

I fixed it in 5 mins with a Power Probe which I saw the tech using at the Allison dealer on my truck bought one was a ground wire came off the ground terminal in control panel.

Even with factory diagnostic software it could have many issues showing various fault codes etc you still have to troubleshoot and have heard horror stories guys making huge payments in equipment sitting for months at a dealer they can't figure out.

JD955SC

I'll add you can't even count on certified dealer service to fix your equipment.

I know for a fact the Elgin distributor here in Vegas people have dropped off sweepers to repair and months later $10,000 still not working correct. The tech here is not even factory trained he learns working on equipment.

Had the same issue Allison dealer here trying to get a PTO working it quit one day they wanted to build a whole new wire harness $2000.

I fixed it in 5 mins with a Power Probe which I saw the tech using at the Allison dealer on my truck bought one was a ground wire came off the ground terminal in control panel.

Even with factory diagnostic software it could have many issues showing various fault codes etc you still have to troubleshoot and have heard horror stories guys making huge payments in equipment sitting for months at a dealer they can't figure out.

A lot of the time dealerships do very little to train and improve their mechanics. The supervisors don’t care about improving service skills and experience and retaining the talent. They don’t see a problem with the revolving door model but then are quick to complain about the skilled labor shortage

TCat

A lot of the time dealerships do very little to train and improve their mechanics. The supervisors don’t care about improving service skills and experience and retaining the talent. They don’t see a problem with the revolving door model but then are quick to complain about the skilled labor shortage
I absolutely believe this to be true in many cases. My son went to work for a large Cat dealership with multiple locations. When he hired on, my son was on fire to learn welding, and he had been doing a lot of aluminum welding at a company that repaired refrigerated trailers. The Cat dealership promised him that they would continue to teach him welding and help him to get certified. He would spout off welding terminology that would make my head spin. Fast forward a year or two and the dealership had him cross training to do mechanic work and less and less welding. Fast forward another couple of years and he was doing no welding and basically swapping parts out on machines at the dealership. The way I saw it, it was still a great opportunity, but for him, he really wasn't into turning wrenches like I am. Needless to say, the dealership never did anything to foster his love of welding, nor would they do anything to help him get certified. My son finally left the dealership for a better job. Now he doesn't weld or turn wrenches unfortunately..