• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

thunderbird clutch conversion

THI

On facebook search for 'Hauler Engineering Ltd' Wakefield, NZ. (in the url bar 'Hallengineeringltd' should show.) They do a bit with the BFG clutches.

They don't post too much, so not too far down for a post on the May 29, 2022 , which is a rebuilt TMY 70 with 1 year of work, that has the BFG clutch etc. (also things like a band brake for 071, replacement 124 cab, lagged/ grooved 071 main drum etc)
Thats a great looking machine! I see the cab and dog box was set back to make room for the clutches. I also like the looks of that cab. Without getting too far off topic, does the 124 cab still accommodate the steering wheel for road travel? There are similar cab conversions I have seen locally but only on the TTY that can tilt or be removed. We have an old railroad trestle locally that I am always worried is going to settle and give me and the 70 a haircut trying to get under!

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Thanks Hallback, this must be to add more potential to the 70s for a grapple carriage? Seems like the Boman has to be within kissing distance of the tube to get it up snug at all! They got better once they went back to pneumatic and the 6170 improved it even more with the larger clutch. But the mid to late 80s models with the air to hydraulic valves and the hydraulic cylinder inside the clutch can be a pain! Especially if your chaser likes to keep all his worldly possessions in the Dog Box!
If you're running a Boman on a 70, hopefully it's a Mark 5 or 8900. The 7900 is way too large.
I didn't know anybody even ran chasers anymore?

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I had my hands on two of the tandem carriages today. There are a nice setup, I just wonder if they're robust enough for the average yarder operator and crew but time will tell.