• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tie down requirements for equipment under 10k

MG84

I realize there may be differences state to state, but for the sake of discussion lets talk about on the federal level (Va uses the federal FMCSA guidelines). Unless I’m reading something reading something wrong equipment under 10k should be tied down using the guidelines for ‘light vehicles’ which is basically one chain and binder front and rear used in a manner to limit front to back and side to side movement. What I’m wondering about is attachments. As far as I can tell there is no requirement to tie down something like a loader boom or backhoe boom on a small piece of equipment?

Reason I ask is because there are some jobs I will doing soon requiring the hauling of my Kubota mini TLB (3500-4000lbs) and CTL (8000lbs) together on my 11 ton pintle trailer behind my F700. Trailer space is at a premium so I would like to haul the mini TLB with the backhoe boom up and locked but don’t want to catch the eye of DOT. Thoughts?

aczlan

Wouldn't it take less deck space to have it to the side and on the deck (bucket sitting next to the CTL) vs locked up and straight?

Aaron Z

MG84

Wouldn't it take less deck space to have it to the side and on the deck (bucket sitting next to the CTL) vs locked up and straight?

Aaron Z
Possibly, not sure if the trailer is wide enough, CTL is 6’ wide. I was thinking backhoe boom locked up and turned 90*. I’ll play with some different arraignments beforehand.

Regardless, I’m still interested in what the actual ‘legal’ requirements are for chaining down attached equipment on small units. Seems like there are very few guys around here that actually know the laws. You’ve got the type that just throws one 2” ratchet strap over the roof of a skid steer and hits the highway, and the other extreme (usually large corporate or government types) that have 5 individual chains and binders on a 1.8 ton min ex.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The boom on an excavator has to be secured regardless of size. Just like anything that articulates like a double drum roller, the articulation has to be locked in place to prevent movement during transport, regardless of the size of the roller. I have never read anything that says a bucket on a skid steer attached to the machine has to be secured as if it is separate. That said, anything that can move, such as an excavator boom, an articulating machine, must be prevented from moving during transit, or during a wreck.

MG84

The boom on an excavator has to be secured regardless of size. Just like anything that articulates like a double drum roller, the articulation has to be locked in place to prevent movement during transport, regardless of the size of the roller. I have never read anything that says a bucket on a skid steer attached to the machine has to be secured as if it is separate. That said, anything that can move, such as an excavator boom, an articulating machine, must be prevented from moving during transit, or during a wreck.
While good common sense, I can’t find anything that specifically refers to transport locks, securing boom to trailer, etc for units under 10k.

FMCSA 393.130 covers heavy equipment over 10k and states that, but refers back to 393.128 as the acceptable method to secure units less than 10k. No mention of booms, attachments or accessory equipment in section 393.128. The way I read it is as long as you use two chains and binders, and nothing can move fore/aft or side to side, IE come off the trailer, you are fine. Doesn’t matter it the boom is up or down, boom up with transport lock on is Ok.

Last edited:

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I chain them all down the same. The DOT seems to leave guys alone if the load looks good. If it looks neat and tight you won't get that second look from the cop. By the time he pulls you over to check to see if the weights are under 10k he is going to find a bunch of other stuff wrong.
The technicalities of the law really don't matter. I have seen different cops interpret the same thing differently. If the guy thinks the boom should be chained down, he is going to write a ticket for it.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
393,130b states that accessory equipment, such as hydraulic shovels, must be completely lowered and secured to the vehicle.

I believe this is where tying the boom down comes from.

MG84

393,130b states that accessory equipment, such as hydraulic shovels, must be completely lowered and secured to the vehicle.

I believe this is where tying the boom down comes from.
Yes, I agree, but there again that section only pertains to equipment over 10k.

But, I get what yall are saying and generally agree, the reason for starting this thread was as much academic as practical. It has served me well over the years to have a good working knowledge of the legal system. Its nice to know the laws before you need to.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I guess it all goes to how its interpreted. When I read it, it listed all the odd things that are transported in the different sections and how to manage those. The hydraulic shovel portion I thought was just another example of how to manage that issue regardless of weight. I guess that's just an example of how you can as 5 different DOT cops a question and get several different variations of an answer.

Truck Shop

If a accident comes into play it will be deemed insecure load. Just chain everything down
then there is no question. I have never heard of a DOT officer writing someone up
because they used too many load restraints.

skyking1

I had the case 590 on a trailer out in front of the yard where anyone could see, and had 4 binders on the corners and the hoe bucket chained down, but I did not have one across the front bucket.
I was hauling off another job solo and the county dirt cop pulled me over because the load of concrete rubble looked "heavy" to him. I had been hauling all day and had a stack of load slips to show him. He relaxed about that and then, he gave me a "gimmie"
His office is down the road from ours and he said he was waiting to see that backhoe go down the road so he could write me a ticket about the unsecured front bucket.
They are not all azzholes.