• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tilt--????

LeakyBoot

How do you work them?? What keeps them from starting to go down before your ready?? What I'm wanting to do is get one long enough for my little 22 ft long grader. I need to back on as most weight on rear of grader. Will it start down before front wheels get on? Or do I need to release a control--which might be hard right now as my park brake might not hold machine on much of a slope--need to fix. LB

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
Our TrailMax TRD50 has a 30 ft bed, 5' fixed and 25' tilt.

The tilt is basically pefectly balanced. When I release the lock the bed stays level until I push down on the tail. When I am unloading the tail stays down until I walk up the trailer and then the nose comes down and I jump off and lock it down.

Now loading something like your grader may be a problem since it is so long. The bed may come back down to level before the front tires come in if the rear is heavy enough. But hard to say until I tried it, since we don't have anything with that kind of wheel base.

skata

most tilts have a hydraulic cylinder with a valve adjustment on it. the cylinder controls how fast the tilt bed goes up and down. maybe you can just adjust the cylinder to be stiff, then just move the machine quick till the front wheels touch the trailer.

thejdman04

Some have fully hydraulic cylinders wont come donwn until yoiu let it down. A ramp trailer might be ok for you if your buying one, sometimes stuff doesnt like to stay on tilt trailers, rolls and slides off.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I would also suggest a ramp trailer for your grader. For a tilt top to work with your grader it would have to be at lest 30' long.

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
What he really needs is a hydraulic tail trailer, these have what could be called a longer ramp (when the tail is down) than a normal ramp trailer.

Thats what I see most people around here using for a grader, or a detachable gooseneck low boy.