• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tips on running a hammer underwater?

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
So where ya at Lashlander and Ford I know your 2 have done this?

I'll be running a hammer off a barge breaking bridge supports and could use some tips. I read lash's Rocks on the runway thread. The boss just told me to feel to make sure I got the tip of the hammer on the concrete so I'm not dry firing it. Which shouldn't be a problem since I can tell that by feel sufficiently. What got me nervous is I'll be using all the the reach of the hoe and could easily rip off a hyd line underwater on the rebar then I'm SOL.

Thanks

Demoguy324

Occupation
Operating engineer, Local 701, Specializing in scr
I've always been taught to keep the hammer well out of the water, and to never hammer in water deeper than 3/4 the bit length, but then again some hammers are designed to work submerged.

Eric

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Ya we have air compressor hooked up to it to keep the water out.

Demoguy324

Occupation
Operating engineer, Local 701, Specializing in scr
Ahhhhh, ok, thanks for that bit of information, could you post some pictures of the work when you have a chance?

thanks
Eric

Eric

I have been told that you can run a hammer under water IF you have a air line running line running to it. Pull the grease zerk out and put in a air fitting, you have to run a compressor to it. That will keep water from getting in the piston. Can't run it like that for an extended period (couple of hours) before you have to disassemble set up grease hammer and start over. Good advice to not get the point more than 3/4 under water. As for keeping the point verticle always, I was taught to set it at a slight angle so that the force of the hammer dissapates into the object you are trying to break instead of straight into the ground. That really applies to ditch bottoms, boulders, and stuff like that. Breaking a slab is verticle. Hope this helps.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I should of been more clear this hammer is for working in water it has air and a auto greaser. Also the supports are in 20' of water I'll be breaking them all the way down to the ocean floor.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Ya I am in Houston. I have a few pics in This thread, but I've been to "busy" to go back out on the water yet to get some more.