• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TMS500 Audition

w1ia

Occupation
semi-retired
The interview went well so the final hurdle is an audition Monday on the TMS500. I guess I will do the set-up and pick up some counterweights for the new boss.
Compared to being on a time constraint for the CCO this should be a walk in the park. Funny conversation during the interview "..some people sitting in that chair expect there going to be operating the next day" I said that I expected to have to pay my dues. Job definition entails support team (running the counter-weights on a flat bed trailer), rigging, and operating.

The company owns 15 AT's and one crawler (175 ton Manitowoc) and work is a mixed bag of modular homes, HVAC units, panels and production steel erection.

Brent
Derry, NH

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Yes ... never let the mental drain pull you down ..just put yourself in the mental set that your gonna run that crane .... you'll be fine

w1ia

Occupation
semi-retired
Thanks guys...I downloaded the op manual to see what I would be running. I guess you set up the outriggers from outside vs. inside the operators position. Any tips on these functions would be appreciated. Also this machine uses direct 4 stick hydraulic controls versus 2 joysticks. Is there a control valve to switch the boom extend to hoist for the auxiliary? (if it has that option)

Brent

td25c

Good luck with the TMS500 audition w1ia.I am sure you will do fine.I understand the tms500 is a 40 ton truck crane.I'll bet it's a good unit.

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
She uses pilot pressure..nice smooth ..very predicatible

there should be a switch and a mechanical lockout on the auxillary hoist lever...take note if in the front of the lever consol if there is a bolt hole ..thats empty ..ask where the lockout went if its not there or if it was equiped ..you need a 1/2 inch wrench to get it on ..off
Make sure the left armrest is all the way down ..it has a deadman ..you have to almost lift it up to get out of the upper .. just make sure its down and firm or nothing well happen ...
and just to test the safety of this machine ..when the crane is on outrigger's ask some one to release the brake's on the carrier... the outrigger jacks wont let the crane come down with the brakes released on the carrier on other TMS model's

three pedals on the floor ..left foot brake, center scope in/out ,right throttle..

thats if its set up like most other TMS model's..

Note that if only the outrigger control consol is in the upper and none on the outside ,,ask someone to watch your right rear outtrigger going in and out ..lots of people have failed a DOST ,, for that reason ..people have gotten hurt and material damaged ..
also keep in mind to check for yourself and not take anyones word that the beam is out ...lots have failed for that to ..

w1ia

Occupation
semi-retired
The Bums Rush

What a set up! Never got a call to go to the audition. Called the office and apparently dodging my calls :Banghead

At least give me the courtesy to tell me I don't fit his needs..RRRR!

Oh well....I remain a rookie unemployed :beatsme

Brent
Derry, NH

w1ia

Occupation
semi-retired
What a set up! Never got a call to go to the audition. Called the office and apparently dodging my calls :Banghead

At least give me the courtesy to tell me I don't fit his needs..RRRR!

Oh well....I remain a rookie unemployed :beatsme

Brent
Derry, NH

After another call this morning it turns out he wasn't in the shop on Monday and he apologized and looks like everything is OK...phew!

So the roller coaster ride continues....WOW! you start letting your mind run wild..did I blow the interview etc...

Brent

w1ia

Occupation
semi-retired
liebherr1160,
Are the outriggers extended from outside the operators cab on the carbody? It wasn't clear from the info I downloaded. I imagine you do the final leveling from inside the operators position? The LMI shouldn't be much different from the RT/540 I ran at the school. I plan on doing a typical daily inspection andsetting up the LMI for the particular configuration etc..

Brent

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
its probably got a PAT DS350 LMI in it
the outriggers can be controlled from the op cab and if they got the option the carbody of the carrier..

final leveling from the operators station ...or the fender ..carry a level to double check those..espacilly if the machine is new to YOU..

double check me on the manual ..but im certain it says that the boom must be in the rest to level the unit ..experience has taught me that a torpedo level on the ring gear ..boom at 45 degrees ..square to the side carrier with the upper, then square of the rear is more favorable .... but do what the manual says untill your more comfortable.. check the beams for square after your level ..this way you will know if your setting on 4 or two jacks kitty corner

td25c

My grove tm 250 has the outrigger controls and bubble level in the operators station.The level is pretty accurate.Thats good advice liebherr1160 checking the carrier frame with a level around the swing gear.I do that on the grove from time to time just to check the level indicater in the cab.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
check the beams for square after your level ..this way you will know if your setting on 4 or two jacks kitty corner

I used to do this everytime I set up a rig liebherr, that's why I liked having the option of controls on the carrier as well as in the cab. I'd set up the rig from the carrier controls so I'm on the ground watching everything, checking the tires off the ground, and checking the beams for parallel, didn't have to climb in and out of the cab making the final fine adjustments. Then climb in the cab, do a spin around, checking the bubble, just one last look that everything looked good. :)

w1ia

Occupation
semi-retired
Dumb question, but what about the front jack? What would the correct sequence for setting the outriggers? I only have the product guide not the op manual.

Thanks,
Brent

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Dumb question, but what about the front jack? What would the correct sequence for setting the outriggers? I only have the product guide not the op manual.

Thanks,
Brent

Been away from cranes for a while now, never ran one with a front jack, so, I don't know.
Correct sequence? Hmm, never thought much about that. It depends on the terrain/site that your setting up. Normally, you extend all outriggers and begin setting the pads. Always make sure the pad placement is as level as possible. Avoid laying pads that are not level, pads laying on an angle/slope is a no no in my book. Level the ground with a shovel if you have to making a smooth/flat surface for pad placement. And I don't know what the approved standard is, but me and 25c has discussed this before; I always used good/solid cribbing under my pads to increase my load footprint. The reasoning is simple; with cranes, it's better to be overkill on setup as opposed to not have enough. I've seen a number of cranes tip from sinking outrigger pads. And, like liebherr said, the last thing you do is check the outrigger beams for parallel. Once you've got it on all four feet, walk about 5 - 10 feet directly behind one of the rear outrigger beams. Bend down to where you're looking over the rear beam and eyeballing the front beam in front of it and see if the beams are parallel. If they're not parallel, one is carrying more weight than the other, make adjustments necessary. Once I got left and right beams parallel, I even walked directly behind the rear center of the rig and looked along the deck plate to see if the frame was in a twist putting stress on the slew ring. If the beams are parallel, the deck plate is flat, and tires off the ground, your good to go. ;)

w1ia

Occupation
semi-retired
I guess the TMS has the front jack for operating over the front. Thanks again for all the tips. I was told to call the office tomorrow morning. I am going to mellow out and be patient till I get my audition.

Brent

crane operator

The outrigger controls on the carrier (if it has them) will also have a small bubble level in the box. Only extend the outriggers on the side you are standing on, You can't see the back one from the opposite side (I know a guy who ruined a new truck by shoving a outrigger beam into it). Level the crane by the four main jacks first, ignoring the front jack. After you have the crane level on the main four, you can hit the button for the front jack. It has a pressure relief in it, It will go down until it hits a pressure setting and automatically stop itself. That's so you don't bend the frame with the front jack. If you're in the upper you can actually tell when it starts putting the pressure down b/c you will see the nose of the crane move up just a little bit and then stop. If you didn't see the nose move, and you're on unlevel ground, you may not have made contact with the ground before running out of jack, get some cribbing down there. The front jack will also be pressure sensitive while running over the nose of the crane at large radius, They usually have a light that will come on (front jack overload). Also the front jack will retract itself automatically if you move any other outrigger up, so if you change any jack after set up, make sure you reapply the nose outrigger because it comes up all the way automatically. Here's another quick way to check yourself for level in a newer crane if you don't trust the bubble. After set up, boom up to around 45Deg. and make a revolution with the upper, watching your LMI angle indicator. If the angle doesn't change at all, you're on the money. The angle indicators are very sensitive, and it's essentially like using a 30' level, because the sensor is out on the boom. The degree number itself doesn't matter for this part, just that it doesn't change. If it does change, you will know where you're low at by the #'s. It's way more accurate than a small torpedo. PS the old school guys (pre computer) do this by how the house tends to drift to the downhill side. Everyone else's advice is right on the money too.

td25c

I guess the TMS has the front jack for operating over the front. Thanks again for all the tips. I was told to call the office tomorrow morning. I am going to mellow out and be patient till I get my audition.

Brent

Yep,the front outrigger gives you a 360 degree load chart.I dont have a front outrigger on my tm 250 grove and my working radius is around 220 degree's before it's considered lifting over the front.So crane positioning is important.I can crib up under the front of the tm 250 if I have no other choice.The front outrigger is just compensating for the wieght of front half of the crane carrier ahead of the outriggers.

w1ia

Occupation
semi-retired
The outrigger controls on the carrier (if it has them) will also have a small bubble level in the box. Only extend the outriggers on the side you are standing on, You can't see the back one from the opposite side (I know a guy who ruined a new truck by shoving a outrigger beam into it). Level the crane by the four main jacks first, ignoring the front jack. After you have the crane level on the main four, you can hit the button for the front jack. It has a pressure relief in it, It will go down until it hits a pressure setting and automatically stop itself. That's so you don't bend the frame with the front jack. If you're in the upper you can actually tell when it starts putting the pressure down b/c you will see the nose of the crane move up just a little bit and then stop. If you didn't see the nose move, and you're on unlevel ground, you may not have made contact with the ground before running out of jack, get some cribbing down there. The front jack will also be pressure sensitive while running over the nose of the crane at large radius, They usually have a light that will come on (front jack overload). Also the front jack will retract itself automatically if you move any other outrigger up, so if you change any jack after set up, make sure you reapply the nose outrigger because it comes up all the way automatically. Here's another quick way to check yourself for level in a newer crane if you don't trust the bubble. After set up, boom up to around 45Deg. and make a revolution with the upper, watching your LMI angle indicator. If the angle doesn't change at all, you're on the money. The angle indicators are very sensitive, and it's essentially like using a 30' level, because the sensor is out on the boom. The degree number itself doesn't matter for this part, just that it doesn't change. If it does change, you will know where you're low at by the #'s. It's way more accurate than a small torpedo. PS the old school guys (pre computer) do this by how the house tends to drift to the downhill side. Everyone else's advice is right on the money too.
Thanks Crane operator,
That explanation makes sense. You guys have been very helpful. Now if I can get my audition. I will be finding out this morning. With the torrential rain I doubt many guys will be working. If the machine is free etc..

Brent