• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Toolcat

bernieg

oh... two points i forgot to mention... i did NOT have any filters plugging up... second point i am wondering if by chance in Feb-Apr of '07, if they knew of the problem with the motors or not and was it an honest mistake and/or did they have a fix with new motors??? i know they accused me of using NON-Bobcat fluids, abusing the machine and all kinds of things... i was getting ready to go the legal route for help.... bernieg

timm9

Bernie,

I can honestly tell you that my dealer had not even heard of the drive motor failures until I mentioned it. Just before I realized I had an 'issue' I noticed a 'D' series Toolcat (owned by a friend in town) being hauled off the hill by the dealer. I had called the service manager regarding something else and asked him what was up with the 'other' TC. After he explaned the issue I told him it was the Drive Motors based on several sites I belong to. Little did I know I would be the next one with the issue. Corporate did not 'advertise' or notify the dealers or the owners of the issue. While I have not confirmed this, I have read several posts that indicate that the drive motors (from Comer) are also installed in the Excavators as well.

While $1,000 is not cheap, it does not even come close to the $7,000 per uint to replace the drive motors. I have heard/read about other TC owners being told that the dealer/corporate would not help in any way...

timm9

Bernie,

I would be very grateful if you would post an update on your drive motor issue. I'm very curious if you accidently received replacement motors that were 'faulty' from the box, or if this is going to be a repeat issue for the rest of us as well.

Tim

adam21584

The company I work for has a tool cat, The drive motors where replaced at 900 hours and the parts counter guys made it sound like they had sold allot of the replacement motors. The narrow lift arms are a weak spot also, a result of hitting a curb hard with a big snow bucket. Front suspension springs replaced also. I don't think suspension is a good idea on a machine that loads trucks. Now the snow crew doesn't want the machine back on the job due to limited manueverability in tight spots

timm9

Very interesting...

I have two (2) 'B' series Toolcats and other than the drive motor issues (which is a OEM supplier defect) they have been relatively trouble free. They are only used for Snow Removal and 98% of the time are run with Blowers. I purchase the first one in the fall of 2004 and the last one in the spring of 2005. I did have a Comm Error (50-56) issue with one unit that was finally traced back to (another OEM defect) a bad connection in the wiring harness at the dash CPU.

I guess the 'second' drive motor failure could be the result of not completely flushing the system, but a second failure with only 200 hours would make me suspect the two new drive motors were defective out of the box. I'd be very interested to see the lab report (if there was one) after the first drive motor(s) replacement.

bernieg

folks... i am curious about the turn-around time of Bobcat dealerships for repair work... i am still waiting for my drive motors to be repaired on my TC... when they were repaired in '07, it took 13 weeks... they have now had the machine about a month... having had newholland stuff in the past, i am accustomed to 1-3 day turn-around on service issues, even major items never took more than a week... so, is this standard?? also, the service manager said i should be able to get 5000-7000 hours on these drive motors... is that the same expectations you folks have??? when i get it back i will let you know how it worked out... bernieg

timm9

Bernie,

My dealer had both units back to me within 36 hours but my situation was rather unique in that both TC's went down at the same time, and in the middle of a great big storm. I will say that 13 weeks does seem like a very long time. I'm wondering if they are having trouble getting the new drive motors due to the number of affected units. When you consider that all of the series (B,C & D, and possibly A's) came from the factory with bad drive motors, times 2 motors per unit, I could see the back log growing very quickly.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
is this something that will happen every 200 hours???

maybe not quite every 200hrs but youre getting the idea

or did they really get the problem fixed with the motors... and is my entire system filled with metal shavings???

why, did you take the filter off and bypass it?

bernieg

i've got an '04 with 600hrs and its a handy lil peice of equipment around the farm and what not.......when the peice of **** is not in the shop that is:eek: . K.C. Bobcat put new drive motors in it, 20hrs later they put a drive controller and a F-N-R switch and i think a speed pedal,....long story short there just isnt enough of them out there for anyone to know their head from thier ass when it comes to working on them.

also the older ones had a horrible overheating problem ( it only took them 3 tries to fix mine :rolleyes: ) lol

i was thinking of buying another but,.......prolly not ;)

something else, the new 5610 sets about 6 inches taller than the older ones so hopefully it didnt lose the stability.

P.S. this thread needed a TC pic so here is one :drinkup

Pj

Attachments

• phone pic's 017.jpg
    phone pic's 017.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 3,444

bernieg

TC for sales

i just sold my house and i am in the process of moving out of CA... i have decided to sell my TC and all implements as well... total hours about 525... just had new driver motors and really works well.. implements are a 4 way 72" bucket, 72" box scraper, post augar, finish mower, forklift forks and trencher... all in good condition... put it this way, there is only 525 hours on the machine so the implements have not been used very much... i am asking $37k for the Toolcat and all implements... bernieg

va toolcat

I have a 07 5600 tool cat and it will not start. Use it everyday and used it today. Batt. is good switched fuses and nothing? Help please!!!! Nothing comes on when i turn the key.

timm9

VA,

I'm assuming that your 07 is a 'C' or 'D' series..? If so things may be a little different as all of mine are 'B' series. If you have zero power getting to anything and have checked everything else, you might try checking the 100 amp master fuse. On my B series it is located immediately above and to the rear of the battery in the battery compartment. The fuse (does not look like a fuse) is flat and approximately 1/2 inch wide and maybe 2 to 3 inches long. Follow the hot lead off the battery and it should lead up to a mounting block with the flat fuse bridging the 'block' before going on the starter, etc. Hope this helps...

va toolcat

I just looked its a 04 b series. I will try that in the morning. Thanks alot!! I looked in the fuse box on the passanger side and had power to the fuses. I checked it with a meter.

timm9

VA,

I may have misunderstood your previous post thinking that you had no power past the battery. If you have power at the fuse panel under the dash on the passenger side, then it is not the master fuse. In that fuse panel will be several relays plugged in along side the fuses. Pull and switch around the relays trying each time to turn on your key seeing if you get juice to the dash controller. You may get lucky. I keep several on hand for those 3:00/am break downs...:-(

va toolcat

Found out it was the batt. It showed 12 volts with meter but put under stress wouldnt do it. Cells must have collapsed. Thanks for all your help. You gave me some good info for the future.

timm9

FWIW, Since my last posting I have purchased a third Toolcat, but was smart and had a hydraulic sample pulled before the purchase. This unit had a total of 211 hours on it and both drive moters were failing. The seller took the unit to the dealership (as I woulod not purchase without the replacements) that I use as well. The dealership was well aware that I was buying the unit and was doing their best to get it wrapped up before winter. The drive motors were back ordered and it took 7 1/2 weeks just to get the replacement motors.

joemorgan

Occupation
Retired
I have a 2003 tc5600 that stopped moving and error code 50-46 came on, I can't find anything relating to it or what it needs to be repaired, it will start and run but won't move, anyone out there have any ideas?