• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Track adjustment 963B

Be4hopper

New to HEF but just purchased a 963B and tracks seem a little loose. When backing up And turning it seems to be jumping/ popping on sprockets. Under carriage is CAT and it hasn’t been adjusted since installing I believe.
Any suggestions or instructions will be greatly appreciated!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.

Attachments

• Tracks.pdf
    767.7 KB · Views: 39

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Adjuster is a Grease fitting under a cover on top of Rail Frame. Pressures the Cannon out of its bore.

Be4hopper

Well gents I adjusted my tracks and they just went back to original position after driving for 30 minutes.
I couldn’t see a relief valve so I just loosened grease fitting to let track rod go back the 10mm. Ended up having 1”3/4 checking with the string.
The undercarriage has less than 400 hrs on it but I think the seals must be blown because rod was only out an inch after adjusting and is back in now.
Any instructions on how to replace seals?
Or what the relief valve looks like!

Nige

I couldn’t see a relief valve so I just loosened grease fitting to let track rod go back the 10mm.
On your machine the functions adding grease to extend the adjuster and the relief valve are all acomplished by one common valve. You add grease via the zerk on the top and crack the complete valve loose with a wrench to back off the adjuster.

If the seals in the adjuster are leaking there ought to be signs of fresh grease in the area indicated by the arrow in the illustration below.

1683474717662.png

Be4hopper

Your awesome Nige, there is fresh grease there, so my assumption of seal replacement is correct but doesn’t look to complicated.
I ca use my 446 extendahoe to do the lifting.

Nige

The attached might help.

Step 2 of the procedure to remove the track adjusters is likely to be nowhere near as easy as it sounds in the procedure. First I would suggest that you run a thread tap (plug tap for preference) into the forcing bolt holes to clean out the dirt and corrosion. Put plenty of anti-seize on the forcing bolts beforehand.
Getting the adjuster to come out of the bore in the frame is likely to involve much cursing, maybe some heat, and big hammers. It will probably be corroded in there.

Attachments

• Idlers.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • Track Adjusters.pdf
    413.1 KB · Views: 13

Nige

Is there a master link in the track chain
If it has Cat undercarriage there should be a crocodile-style split master link. If it has aftermarket undercarriage, who knows.? it should be easy enough to find a split master link if it has one, just look at the track from the side. The master link will be "solid", the rest of the links you can see through them.