• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Track adjustment 963B

Be4hopper

It’s got an original set of tracks nothing fancy. I told the guy I bought from and he acted like he couldn’t believe it.
But he had this under carriage in his shop for several years before installing,and he had John Deer shop install full undercarriage.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
They said they did, he gave me receipts!
If that was the case then the adjuster should literally fall out when you put the forcing bolts on it. Let us know how it comes out.
I see two possibilities, one that the piston seal was cut during reassembly of the tensioner, two that they billed for the work and didn't do it.
Look at Post #14 on Page 1 again. How difficult it is to extract the tensioner from the track frame will tell the story.

Be4hopper

Well I finally got time to do the tear down it wasn’t terrible just greasy and heavy.
On the front left if sitting on machine the first roller behind idler is shot just flopping.
Adjuster cylinders are pitted and wide rusted spots.
The good thing is there a company near by that repairs and rechromes them.

nicky 68a

Strange one that…..
Looks indeed like a Young Undercarriage and they’ve even taken the trouble to fit new bottom roller bolts.
I wonder if they’ve been stored correctly or if that roller that’s collapsed has been dropped on its edge.

Be4hopper

Thanks Nige
I was wondering about those plugs,
I don’t know if the guy that owned it didn’t want to put more money or just the JD place didn’t want to tell him about adjusters as

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 11

nicky 68a

With reference to Nige’s comment on checking the oil in the rollers.
I learned many years ago that rollers needed to be handled more carefully until they are fitted onto the trackframe than you might think.
In my teenage days,I recall pulling up to my first D8 to do the bottom rollers one Saturday afternoon with a trailer with pallets of new Berco bottom D8 rollers.I dropped the side of the trailer down and proceeded the push them off the pallet and straight on to the haul road.It seems obvious now,but wasn’t to me then as a newbie.I soon got my ears clipped by the fitter that was helping me.I was told to unload them gently down,then check every plug to see if they’d been filled from the factory as this small detail was often overlooked.
Since then,I’ve allways checked rollers and idlers before fitting and only found a handful of empty ones.
You say the rollers are Trek and not Cat like your track groups.This is no big problem,but I’d certainly do as Nige says and check them all along with idlers.
If oil runs out,it’s ok.If it doesn’t you’ll want an old volume bucket.If you don’t have one,fill your oil can up and squirt it in the old fashioned way.
Be aware that on hot days,they may vacuumed and give a misleading level

Be4hopper

Ok, now I have another question about the idlers. I know there’s oil in the seals but what about the idler itself.
They look good except a small hole in center of one where the track pins ride.
I thought about just welding it up with bronze rod. Does oil go inside the idler itself?