• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tracks and tire wear

toomacho

Occupation
High School Teacher
Anybody notice excessive tire wear when using steel OTT tracks on their skidsteer?
I have been using mine for about 4 months off and on around the homestead, and have really noticed some serious tire wear! Can't tell if it is normal or the tracks have really taken a toll on the tires. Tension is adjusted correctly as far as I know.
The 863 work great with the tracks but DANG!!! :beatsme

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
how loose are they how do you operate spin around in one spot or three to twelve point turns material your working in how worn out are the tracks as in can't adjust them any more just run loose there are alot of factors there to consider if they are loose check them in the middle should pull up about 2 to 3 inches of slack not six in to a foot also the tracks on those older machines and any machines really take a toll on the chains in the chain case they streych and are more apt to break because they strech out and become loose then one day while running a chain will break not saying its gonna happen to you soon or ever but they are know for eating up chains dont know if any one has ever told you of this they do work great though for added traction and weight they are like ice skates on snow covered or ice covered ground you will slide and slide until they catch a solid piece of ground

toomacho

Occupation
High School Teacher
Thanks for the info. The abrasive material being ground into the tires makes sense. Plus I guess there is more tire contact with the tracks on.
Also I will double check the adjustment as well as monitor more closely how I turn.
Thanks !

Ragweed

over the tire track question ??

Guys : I just bought my first skid steer, I will be using it on my landscaping business and around my home. snow removal
I bought a 06 226b cat wheeled machine, my question is i am thinking of purchasing some rubber over the tire tracks , are these tracks only for traction puposes or will they decrease my psi weight , which is waht I would like to acomplish ??

Ragweed

also heard that ott tracks do not work well with foam filled tires ?? any truth to this ?? I was told the tracks will wear the tires quickly, if yes is this the same as airless tires ??

toomacho

Occupation
High School Teacher
The tracks will increase traction greatly as well as reduce the PSI. They work great but as my thread questioned, they do wear the tires quickly.
Never tried them with foam filled tires, so I'm not sure about that, especially with the rubber tracks.

HillBoy

The tracks will increase traction greatly as well as reduce the PSI. They work great but as my thread questioned, they do wear the tires quickly.
Never tried them with foam filled tires, so I'm not sure about that, especially with the rubber tracks.

Hi Toomacho, what brand or type of OTT tracks do you have?

Komatsu 150

According to my tire guy steel over the tire tracks will reduce tire life by as much as 50%. He also says increased flats. He's been selling tires for decades and obviously wasn't trying to sell me more as I asked him before buying tracks.

lgammon

i ran them for years on my 236 they do kill tires but your preformance will increase by 200% . you shouldn't foam fill cause if you do roll a rock or somthing in side the tracks when you drive over it it has make room some how, maybe bend the axle tube, maybe break the track, just depends what is stronger. i always used air filled tires they ride better and when you do roll somthing in there it will either bust the tire witch is 160 bucks or if the tire is low, will just break the bead and instant flat. bad both ways but tires are easy to fix compared to tracks and axles

toomacho

Occupation
High School Teacher
Hi Toomacho, what brand or type of OTT tracks do you have?
I think they are made by Scattrack. They are heavy cast iron. I got them cheap (about 650.00) and so far they have worked pretty well. Getting replacement bushings have been a little pain though.
Here is a picture before I tightened them up.
bobcat tracks 001.JPG

toomacho

Occupation
High School Teacher
According to my tire guy steel over the tire tracks will reduce tire life by as much as 50%. He also says increased flats. He's been selling tires for decades and obviously wasn't trying to sell me more as I asked him before buying tracks.

That seems to be about right. The wear was VERY evident. Guess I'll have to live with it because if I take it in the woods in these North GA mountains without the tracks it pretty much is bound to get stuck.
I will be on the lookout for cheap tires!:eek: