• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trailer brakes not releasing on my 20-ton tag

skyking1

The trailer supply passes through the bottom of that R-6 into the tank. The tank has a fitting in each end out to the maxi's.

skyking1

Look a the picture. it is ported through there separately.
TS linked a document in his post that shows the routing.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
R6 applies service side for parking, spring brake just a backup when tank pressure bleeds off. That is what I meant! Normal set up for maxis is a QR1 off the Emergency side to drop the maxis when pull park side button even if R6 already had service side applied.

Been there converted a few from single chamber to maxi style. Both ways function.

Truck Shop

The reason for a Spring brake valve or QR-1 is both are not trying to exhaust through the same port
as the service brakes.
Reason I asked about the R6 hose routing is that was standard practice years back, but was corrected
with separating the two by using a spring brake valve such as a SR-5. Supply air is fed to the tank
through the SR-5 and exhausted through the SR-5. Which will feed the R6 which will be controlled
by the foot valve to service port.

The reason for it was to get away from compounding/anti compounding and trailer brake away.

Last edited:

gwhammy

I don't run parking brakes on my trailer as I'm always moving it with a skid steer to and from the storage area. Been that way for years with no problem.

mx727

What's a 396.2 card?

Nothing mention in the reference as being a "card." Just having a record that a mechanic has been trained.

However, the last sentence in subpart (e) of 396.25 says those records aren't required for a driver that has passed the Air Brake portion of knowledge and skills test for their CDL. In otherwords, if you have a CDL and don't have an air brake restriction.

1683428293241.png

Truck Shop

Nothing mention in the reference as being a "card." Just having a record that a mechanic has been trained.
That's true--However CDL part of air brake inspection does not qualify for adjusting or
repair of air brake system. The card is proof to DOT that a person can adjust or repair
air brake system by having training from a manufacture of air brakes. A driver can look/
inspect but that's about it. Especially if there's a accident and it enters the court room,
lawyers will have a field day. It enters the area of is the driver a mechanic also-probably
not.

mx727

Thanks for posting the link for others.

There is no such thing as a CARD. There is no card that needs to be carried or produced. There is no certifying agency for issuing a card. The word "card" does not appear in that section.

If you worked somewhere that issued a card, that is fine, but the DOT has nothing to do with it.

If you don't have a CDL without the L restriction, then the shop you work at must maintain some record that you are qualified, but that is not required to be a card.

Again, 396.25(e) states that a carrier or intermodal carrier is not required to MAINTAIN any records of qualification for a CDL holder that doesn't have an airbrake restriction.

396.25(d) states the requirements. There is no requirement for training, although it can be one avenue to satisfying 396.25(d)(3) as outlined in 396.25(d)(3)(i) and (ii).

To be qualified, you have to Understand, be Knowledgeable and have Experience. In essence, a mechanic can self-certify.

Finally, the title of 396.25 is Qualifications of brake inspectors. The section makes no differentiation between an inspector and a mechanic. If you can qualify under this section, you can do work on the brakes.

Lawyers will have a field day anyway and a nothing in 396.25 will prevent that.

Truck Shop

Thanks for posting the link for others.

There is no such thing as a CARD. There is no card that needs to be carried or produced. There is no certifying agency for issuing a card. The word "card" does not appear in that section.

If you worked somewhere that issued a card, that is fine, but the DOT has nothing to do with it.

If you don't have a CDL without the L restriction, then the shop you work at must maintain some record that you are qualified, but that is not required to be a card.

Again, 396.25(e) states that a carrier or intermodal carrier is not required to MAINTAIN any records of qualification for a CDL holder that doesn't have an airbrake restriction.

396.25(d) states the requirements. There is no requirement for training, although it can be one avenue to satisfying 396.25(d)(3) as outlined in 396.25(d)(3)(i) and (ii).

To be qualified, you have to Understand, be Knowledgeable and have Experience. In essence, a mechanic can self-certify.

Finally, the title of 396.25 is Qualifications of brake inspectors. The section makes no differentiation between an inspector and a mechanic. If you can qualify under this section, you can do work on the brakes.

Lawyers will have a field day anyway and a nothing in 396.25 will prevent that.
You don't have many posts, are you some kind of lawyer?

IMG_4932[719].jpg

Truck Shop

Cool. What agency issued it?
Agency? I think your trying your best to be a newcomer smart ass.
You really think passing CDL air brake gives that person the right to remove a wheel end
changing out air disc brakes.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
That's true--However CDL part of air brake inspection does not qualify for adjusting or
repair of air brake system. The card is proof to DOT that a person can adjust or repair
air brake system by having training from a manufacture of air brakes. A driver can look/
inspect but that's about it. Especially if there's a accident and it enters the court room,
lawyers will have a field day. It enters the area of is the driver a mechanic also-probably
not.

Hey Truck Shop,

I was reading your posts and had a couple of questions. I have a truck that has manual slack adjusters. Does that mean that I am not allowed to adjust my own truck and trailer brakes?

Also, I removed all wheels and brake assemblies and installed new drums, pads, brake hardware and slack adjuster bushings which took me a couple of days between driving around and taking back drums once I figured out they sold me a wrong sized set. Sounds like that is not ok?

I can tell you this, from my short experience with only one truck.. The brakes can loose power during just a full day's use and I have had to stop and adjust during a work day. I have 3 times had my brakes go soft and for those that have not experienced it, once you can not stop a load and it is pushing you down the road, you will do what I now do stop in the first place you can and tighten the brakes.

I don't know that I can look at another truck but after using mine for 8 years I feel as if I know this truck.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

Hey TruckStop,

I was reading your posts and had a couple of questions. I have a truck that has manual slack adjusters. Does that mean that I am not allowed to adjust my own truck and trailer brakes?

Also, I removed all wheels and brake assemblies and installed new drums, pads, brake hardware and slack adjuster bushings which took me a couple of days between driving around and taking back drums once I figured out they sold me a wrong sized set. Sounds like that is not ok?
There two federal regs, one contradicts the other. There is 396.25 and a appendage CFR49 that goes
with it. Both are conflicting-the feds have not corrected one or the other to match.
But I like to throw those out there one at a time because it causes all the Small Town Pizza Lawyers
to come out of the woodwork and get riled up. It is great for creating all kinds of hate and discontent,
The problem is people don't read both regulations and only know of 396.25. CFR 49 says you have to
have a card on file in state or province. Because of the CDL air brake test it causes people to think
they have the expertise to inspect and repair air brake systems. But the FMC won't clarify the rules.
So you can change all the brakes and parts you want and no one will care, until there is a wreck then
DOT will come down on whoever followed by the fellow wearing the shark skin suit.
The name is Truck Shop. Not Truck Stop-I don't eat roller dogs.

Truck Shop

I can tell you this, from my short experience with only one truck.. The brakes can loose power during just a full day's use and I have had to stop and adjust during a work day. I have 3 times had my brakes go soft and for those that have not experienced it, once you can not stop a load and it is pushing you down the road, you will do what I now do stop in the first place you can and tighten the brakes.
That truck have engine brakes? jake. Might need new slack adjusters if the lock doesn't pop out
at hexhead adjuster those will back off each time brakes are applied.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
That truck have engine brakes? jake. Might need new slack adjusters if the lock doesn't pop out
at hexhead adjuster those will back off each time brakes are applied.
No engine brakes. I have wondered how long a break adjustment should last. I believe the locks are popping back out. On some of the air brake chambers you can see where the rods have worn the edge of the chambers from touching when they push out too far.

Once you tighten the brakes as much as you can what is your recommended back off for the front and rears. I know that if the fronts are slightly different from each other it will pull you one way or the other on the road under braking.

If I saw your post correctly you want the rod to move an 1.5" on the trailer brakes.

Does this change for a heavily loaded trailer vs an empty tag trailer?

Sometimes the tag can lock up and the truck is still rolling, I have flattened 2 trailer tires and 2 rear truck tires under lock up.

Last edited:

skyking1

when things are adjusted right, it is common to slide an empty trailer if you are not tender footed. Loaded not so much.