• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trailer Saga Continued:

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Replacements on the truck would be my desire also but at $450.00 a copy, that's a bunch of cash outlay with no guaranteed income on the investment. Hope to change that but as of now, I'm just thinking. The trailer has a short tenure left with me as it really isn't what I can use most effectively. Once I get a trailer acquired with pullouts the truck will move to the forefront as I'll need to work it.

1693TA

Occupation
This is a "Muv-all hydraulic tail trailer I formerly pulled for local pickup and delivery of tractors and combines:

upload_2021-12-7_6-55-2.jpeg

upload_2021-12-7_6-55-46.jpeg

upload_2021-12-7_6-56-11.jpeg

upload_2021-12-7_6-59-22.jpeg

It worked well but would not haul the largest varieties out there without being overheight. No problems with the tractors however no matter the size. This trailer was nice but so rusty underneath it was sold off and the gooseneck I now pull purchased. This was the last use of my truck and the photos are from 2014's winter.

Don't think I've had the truck off my property since ceasing with that trailer.

Talked to the Firestone tire vendor yesterday about tires for the truck. They carry several brands in addition to Firestone and both "Ohtsu", and "Ironman" brands are good sellers for them without a lot of rejects, or returns. "Sumitomo" is another one, but just as many $$$ as Firestone. Not ready to bite yet but am starting to look around for the tractor. I've seen the Ironman brand on farm trucks and trailers but never on a road going truck myself.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

When comes to tires you get what you pay for especially steers. On ours average life with
rotating on the off brands including Toyo average about 65,000 miles. Yokohama 101's,
Firestone 591's and Bridgestone 283's average 90 to 105,000 miles.

1693TA

Occupation
When comes to tires you get what you pay for especially steers. On ours average life with
rotating on the off brands including Toyo average about 65,000 miles. Yokohama 101's,
Firestone 591's and Bridgestone 283's average 90 to 105,000 miles.

I was getting between 90K, and 100K on the steers with the Firestones and about the same on the drives in rollback service. The trucks went through weekly service and tires were checked with each iteration.

This is my 1989 MidLiner just after I put it together in 1991 with new tires and simulators installed. Original photo is a Polaroid. I ran these tires over 100K and changed them due to aging as didn't want one to come apart given parts were becoming scarce for these series of trucks. After four years on the road hauling salvage automobiles, I kept it around till 2005 for local work when phasing out the hauling, and ultimately the business also:

upload_2021-12-7_9-50-19.jpeg

1693TA

Occupation
I have run across a mechanical RGN trailer that I feel is priced fair, but don't know if it's the type I really need. It is a 98" spread for the bridge formula to carry 38K on the rear axles legally. The trailer does have a dump valve on the rear axle. It also has aluminum pullouts for extended width loads. However it is only 25 ton rated and although the weight rating is fine, I really don't haul anything that would require the spread axle, so tire scrub and turning effort are concerns.

Don't know if I should purchase this thing and do some minor repairs to xmembers to trade in, or pass it on by. How desirable is the rear spread axle on a trailer like this? I've not seen another myself but am not around general trucking any longer.

The pullouts are a big draw to me as that would allow combine hauling which I currently cannot do.

Thanks,

petepilot

I have run across a mechanical RGN trailer that I feel is priced fair, but don't know if it's the type I really need. It is a 98" spread for the bridge formula to carry 38K on the rear axles legally. The trailer does have a dump valve on the rear axle. It also has aluminum pullouts for extended width loads. However it is only 25 ton rated and although the weight rating is fine, I really don't haul anything that would require the spread axle, so tire scrub and turning effort are concerns.

Don't know if I should purchase this thing and do some minor repairs to xmembers to trade in, or pass it on by. How desirable is the rear spread axle on a trailer like this? I've not seen another myself but am not around general trucking any longer.

The pullouts are a big draw to me as that would allow combine hauling which I currently cannot do.

Thanks,
As long as you are not dragging it around in circles tire scuff will not be an issue .and if you ever do need that extra 4k on the rear its there

1693TA

Occupation
I have to do a lot of "jockeying" around when grabbing most tractors that are dead. Seldom are combines hauled in because they are broken down but rather the extensive service routines these things require. With exception of a blown engine, they really don't come in except for service. It's the new deliveries and trade in units I'm looking to capture.