• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trees, Trees, and More Trees

John Griffin

We took a whole maple tree in one crane pick yesterday. We were next door picking apart an oak tree in bad shape when the neighbor came over asking if he could hire us to take out this maple that has been giving them problems due to its location. Its brances were intertwined so we decided to pick it whole. It weighed 7100 lbs.

0425231531_HDR.jpg0425231533_HDR.jpg0425231539_HDR.jpg

John Griffin

I ran our crane today myself. I have operated a bunch but not much with this new crane as Im usually climbing with it. I could get used to this crane. Its very nice to operate. This thing has lots of capacity at distance. 89ft and 4200 lbs of net lift capacity with 125 ft of boom out. Still 92 ft up too.

0506231540b.jpg

0506231741_HDR.jpg

0506231130.jpg

0506231537_HDR.jpg

John Griffin

Had to get tight up to the neighbors house. Reach over the fence and into the back yard. We took 15 trees down in the side of this yard.

0607230903_HDR.jpg0608231248.jpg0608231303_HDR.jpg0608231331_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

John Griffin

are there any trees left in Huntsville ?
They're all over the place here. Literally several thousand on my street alone.

On a side note, we do really try to do everything we can to keep any of the tree from ending up in the landfill. We chip all the brush and give the chips away to farms or gardeners though chip drop app. All the logs from this job went to a local independent sawmill so they can turn it into lumber. Any logs that werent good enough to saw will go into our wood lot to be processed into firewood. Yes, even the pine. We use it for campfire wood for campgrounds.

colson04

I get manure from a dairy and mix it with my wood chips. Let it breakdown for a summer and have nice, rich compost to amend my garden with every fall. The logs (any species) gets hauled back to my house and processed for firewood. I don't cut trees daily, more like couple jobs a month. Just enough to get paid to process my own firewood. I burn about 7 full cord a heating season.

Still loving your thread @John Griffin . I wish I could have had a crane on my last removal. Seven red oaks towering over a lake cottage on a very tight lot. The smallest oak was 24" dbh, the biggest was 40". The bottom 16 ft of logs were full of nails, wire, insulators and screws. I spent more time swapping chains than I did cutting at the end.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
They're all over the place here. Literally several thousand on my street alone.

On a side note, we do really try to do everything we can to keep any of the tree from ending up in the landfill. We chip all the brush and give the chips away to farms or gardeners though chip drop app. All the logs from this job went to a local independent sawmill so they can turn it into lumber. Any logs that werent good enough to saw will go into our wood lot to be processed into firewood. Yes, even the pine. We use it for campfire wood for campgrounds.

We are mob'ing into your neck of the woods next week for a big box retail addition. It has 6 planted water oaks in 3 islands to be demo'd however they are pretty big at 8-10" in dia and 20' tall so probably out of your wheel house size wise. :D