• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TRI axle dump truck

crane operator

We have a local concrete plant and a different local quarry/ dirt contractor that run a lot of older Mack’s. The dealer calls them looking for older parts.

Supposedly the Mack man in Fayetteville is better with the older parts, but I’ve not used them.

Welder Dave

LTL is the fancy version with longer hood and larger turn radius. Not the best combination for a dump truck if working off road. That's another consideration. I've heard air suspension sucks, when I was looking for a dump truck, for off road and you could get stuck on a banana peel. Also the air bags tend to make the truck rock and have to be emptied to dump the load.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Air suspensions work great on a dump, just not the same one that a road tractor has.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Owning a 1995 L9000 tandem I can say the cab parts and Ford specific items are hard to find and expensive. At least Mack is still in business.

And no proper construction oriented dump truck should have air ride..:eek::D

Welder Dave

I know a guy with a dump truck and an end dump that also has an old IH tandem grain truck with a 549 gas engine. I wouldn't want to be buying the gas for that truck.

Truck Shop

It was a joke..
I got it-Diesel pickups became popular around here when gas with catalytic came on the scene.
couldn't drive them in wheat fields or stubble. Then when the emissions hit the diesels same
issue. So now 50% of farmers have gone back to gas and have a ATV in the back. Wheat/stubble
fires travel fast.

Welder Dave

Diesel's no longer offer better mileage or savings in fuel costs. A lot of people have lifted diesels with huge tires and loud exhaust just for the show off factor. I have to chuckle when I see a truck like that used as a welding truck. The tailgate or fold down table is too high to work on and everything else is out of reach. Not practical at all. If you want a big lifted 4x4 fine but don't use it as a welding truck. You're just making your job a lot harder than it needs to be.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I can say the cab parts and Ford specific items

One thing that helps out with the L9000's is that a lot of the cab parts are common Ford stuff. Blower motor resistor, High beam switch, ect I have sourced by thinking 1980's Ford pickup, and digging around finding stuff. It is a pain, but the magic wand that was supposed to turn my L9000 into a Peterbilt malfunctioned and left me stuck . . .